Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Retiring to the USA from the UK.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      hargy1296 is on a distinguished road
      Yes of course I'm happy to share....my reasons for wanting to retire are many and varied...the weather, I live in England and we've just had the wettest year since records began, the thought of living somewhere with plenty of sunshine is very appealing. I realise the humidity is an issue but (as a result of what you guys have said) it might be better for me to spend May to October in England then the winter months in Florida when it's cooler.

The country, what a place, it has everything, the different climates, different cultures, beautiful scenery and space, lots of space. I like the Americans too, they always seem friendly and interesting and obviously we speak the same language. Value for money, you certainly seem to get more for your money than you would do in similar places in Europe, like the Canaries. I love the outdoors too, I'm a keen golfer and fisherman so that appeals as well. I've been to California several times and I like the climate there but it seems 2/3 times more expensive than Florida.

I think that probably sums up my main reasons for wanting to retire there, thanks to you all for replying, I appreciate it and if you have any suggestions I'd be very gratefull. Thanks, Hargy.
      Ktee and Pink like this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      11 times
      Rep
      JB300 is on a distinguished road

Retiring to the USA from the UK.

Have you considered the Philippines or Malaysia? (I live in Singapore & meet a lot of guys who have retired out this way) or maybe Mexico (golfing is awesome there & a lot cheaper than Florida).
      Last edited by JB300; 27-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by JB300 View Post
      Have you considered the Philippines or Malaysia? (I live in Singapore & meet a lot of guys who have retired out this way) or maybe Mexico (golfing is awesome there & a lot cheaper than Florida).
      Singapore is suppose to be expensive especially property is it true. I love Singy but think I'd struggle with the humidity it's worse than Cairns

Title
      Liked
      11 times
      Rep

Singapore is VERY expensive, (especially property wise) but it's not that humid here as the government ensures there is sufficient greenery to take the moisture out of the air & you are on a small Island so get lots of sea breeze,

Wouldn't recommend anybody retire here (unless you're very wealthy, one of the co-founders of Facebook recently moved here) but you are surrounded by great retirement opportunities (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines & Indonesia).
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      How much is a 4 bed house to rent in Singapore, mind you saying that when we have been there all I have seen is apartments

Title
      Liked
      11 times
      Rep

Not many houses (landed houses) available in Singapore but the best site for searching for a property is http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/

As per everywhere else, it's all about Location, Location, Location :)
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by hargy1296 View Post
      Yes of course I'm happy to share....my reasons for wanting to retire are many and varied...the weather, I live in England and we've just had the wettest year since records began, the thought of living somewhere with plenty of sunshine is very appealing. I realise the humidity is an issue but (as a result of what you guys have said) it might be better for me to spend May to October in England then the winter months in Florida when it's cooler.

The country, what a place, it has everything, the different climates, different cultures, beautiful scenery and space, lots of space. I like the Americans too, they always seem friendly and interesting and obviously we speak the same language. Value for money, you certainly seem to get more for your money than you would do in similar places in Europe, like the Canaries. I love the outdoors too, I'm a keen golfer and fisherman so that appeals as well. I've been to California several times and I like the climate there but it seems 2/3 times more expensive than Florida.

I think that probably sums up my main reasons for wanting to retire there, thanks to you all for replying, I appreciate it and if you have any suggestions I'd be very gratefull. Thanks, Hargy.
      If you want to avoid the rain you definitely want to avoid the summers here, Florida gets more rain a year than the UK although most of it is during May - Oct and hardly any the other months (dry season!).

The 'winter' months sound perfect for you, it's dry, hardly any rain, low humidity (most of the time), perfect for golfing and fishing :) Homes are generally cheaper than the UK, as you don't have schools to think about you should be able to get a good bargain, but as I said before take into account the costs when you aren't using it. The gulf coast is probably a good place to start, there are lots of lovely beaches and places to fish (so I am told as I haven't been fishing since I was a kid in France), there are lot's of retired folk that spend the winter there too. I cannot comment on the golf courses on the coast, although there are loads where we are in Orlando ;) My youngest 2 have golf lessons although I don't think they will be going professional LOL.

If you have any other questions just ask :)

IFA
      There are potentially other ways in which this is possible which largely depend upon how much money you have available.
      Last edited by Ktee; 19-02-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by IFA View Post
      There are potentially other ways in which this is possible which largely depend upon how much money you have available.
      Please can you tell us on here as I am sure it will be helpful to a number of members

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12