Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      JojoB is on a distinguished road

Schools and neighbourhood advice needed!

Hi, I am looking for some advice please! I am moving to San Fransisco with my husband and two kids, age 5 and 7 in April and need some advice about schools and neighbourhoods. We are hoping to live somewhere around 30 drive from San Mateo. Any recommendations of nice areas, good schools? Also we will be arriving after the usual school enrolment dates. Has anyone done this before and managed to find a place in a good public school? Any advice would be welcome. I am a bit overwhelmed with it all!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      David Saunders is on a distinguished road
      Love San Francisco and lived/worked there for years. My wife lived in San Mateo when we got married and we have friends relatives in the area. Most of San Mateo County is nice... I particularly like Burlingame but it is very expensive. Stay away from East Palo Alto though = way too many gangbangers. Was that a 30 minute drive??? The traffic on the freeway is usually really busy so that would cut your choices down... Over the San Mateo bridge there is Castro Valley, Redwood City... or even lovely Pleasanton in Alameda County... I used to be able to do that drive in about 30 minutes at a push.

When we moved out of San Francisco we bought in Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County which is a lovely place to be and the schools seemed really nice with hardly a gang in sight....

I can't help with schools I'm afraid.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      katzgar is on a distinguished road
      there are alot of sites you can google that rate schools.