Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 2 of 2
    1. #1
      Cool Hand

      Short term visa for stay in USA

      Hi everyone!

      Right, my story. A while back i met and American girl in England who i fell in love with, unfortunately the time came when she had to return to USA and resume her studies. We have discussed many many options, the intention is that she will be coming back to Englnd and continuing her studies once she has graduated. We were hoping this would be December but after sitting down and having a tough conversation we decided her studies were far too important to be jepordised by finishing early and instead decided the sensible thing would be for her to graduate in May as originally planned.

      Now, we have decided that i will go to America next year and be with her whilst she finishes studying, she will then come back to England with me and we will begin a life in blighty. I've worked out that i'll be spending round 4 and a half months in America and she will signing a lease for an apartment for us shortly. I've looked on line and can see the best option would be for me to get a B2 visa, this enables me to be in America upto 6 months. Problem is, i'm not sure how to go about it, or what my eligibility is. I will be 25 by the time i'm in America, i am currently saving up to support myself whilst i am out there. I am in employment but will be leaving my job when it comes to leaving England. It is literally for 4 and a half months and we have no intention of staying in America once she has graduated.

      What is the next step? what documents will i need which will help my visa application along? Do i have to apply via the consulate? I apologise for my ignorance on the subject, but any help or tips anyone can provide will be very much appreciated.



    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2
      Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law.

      The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:
      The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment.
      That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
      Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States.
      Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
      That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

      Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply at the American Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence.

      In short, don't quit your job if you can help it, all that shows is that you have no employment back home. It'd help you to ask your employer for a letter stating you're going to the US on an extended leave and will be able to return to your position when you go back, so that the USCIS can see you're on a vacation, and not a trip to try and get residency here.
      Take evidence of funds in your bank, and some utility bills (recent) to show that you have a place of residence in the UK.

      Try www.uscis.gov