Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Stella854

Should I get Dual Citizenship for my child? UK/USA

Hi,

I lived and studied in America, became pregnant with my daughter and returned to Scotland to give birth. I have been trying to find out if getting her dual citizenship would be a benefit (her father is American) to her but I can't seem to get any solid information or even info on who I should speak to about it.
      I have of course considered the US Embassy but I'd hate to go through all that hassle to find out they couldn't even help. I would like to find out things like - if she had dual citizenship could we move over, could I work, could I buy/rent property for us, could I take driving lessons (I don't drive in the UK).
      Any help will be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      I would definitely recommend getting dual citizenship, it may not benefit her now but when she is an adult it certainly will e.g. be able to live and work in either country without visas etc. Try the London Embassy website for more information, I suspect it may have to be the father who does all the paperwork?! The only way you would be able to live, work in the USA is if you are married to the father. Once your daughter turns 21 she would be able to apply to sponsor you for a green card, but that could take another few years depending on how long the wait is at the time. As for learning to drive in the USA, I would do it before you move ;) Driving schools are few and far between as 99.9% of people are taught by their parents, the ones that do exist charge a small fortune. I have never ever seen a driving school in fact! HTH.

Stella854
      Thank you Pink, it's a bit upsetting we won't be able to get back over without marriage, I feel she'd have a much better upbringing over there, this country just seems to be going to s**t!
      Thanks for your help, will check out the Embassy & see if I can talk to anyone :)

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Believe me the grass isn't greener on the 'other side' ;) If you cannot make it in the UK you will be worse off here, for starters there is no free healthcare, everything you have to pay for and pay a lot more for! The majority of people who move to the US for a 'better life' fail miserably and most return to the UK after loosing a lot of money in the process :(