Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      ace1

Stories of moving to florida

Hi can people give mories of there true life stories of when, how and why they imigrated to america please? If there are any young couple who have done it or tries then i would love to hear your story. Thanks

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Try pming Pag45 ace1 she lives there.

Florida Redhead
      Quote Originally Posted by ace1 View Post
      Hi can people give mories of there true life stories of when, how and why they imigrated to america please? If there are any young couple who have done it or tries then i would love to hear your story. Thanks
      We moved from England to Florida in 1992, but my husband Dave is American, raised in Florida.
      We met when I was living in Palma de Mallorca and he was in the US Navy.
      After a year of so I told him I was moving back to England. He was due for 3 years shore duty, so he asked for London and got it. We got married in London in 1982.
      Moving ahead a bit, he retired from the Navy and we bought a Village Store in East Yorkshire. After 6 years in Yorkshire, Dave's parents were very ill in Florida, and needed care. We sold up and moved, but my son remained at University in England, all his friends were there.
      So our priority was to find jobs and take care of Mum & Dad.
      After 3 years Dad died and I had to move in with Mum as she had Alzheimers and needed round-the-clock care, we refused to put her in a nursing home.
      After she passed away Dave was established in his job by then and I found work so we stayed. When Dave retires in 16 months we want to spend our winters in FL, summers in England, Ireland and anywhere else. I am not giving up my winters in the Sunshine State!!!

I had been married to a US Navy guy for 10 years when we decided to go, so I was already on the DEERS database (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) and had a Military ID Card. Still I had to apply for an immigration visa.
      I went to the US Embassy, filled out my application and paid the fee.
      They kept losing my details, it was very frustrating.
      In the end, Dave's old Commanding Officer told him to take me on a Military flight from Mildenhall, and just show my Military ID & passport when we landed. It was the most comfortable flight I've ever had, on a huge C-5 Galaxy. The price was right too.....$0.00.
      So that's how I got here. I had my green card a few days later.
      If married to a US Citizen, you can apply for citizenship after living in the US for 3 years. Everybody else has to live here 5 years.
      You don't lose your British Citizenship unless you deliberately and formally
      give it up to the British Embassy.

You can read more about the challenges, difficulties and opinions on the thread about "I want to move to Florida".
      Good luck.
      Last edited by Florida Redhead; 23-08-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Andy Chapman
      Thanks & Welcome Back Florida Redhead