Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: want to move to USA to live with my bf

K4J

want to move to USA to live with my bf

I need a way of making it possible for me to live with my bf in new york state and work in the usa.
      im 17, 18 in july. my bf is 20. he has a full time job until late August when he starts uni.
      please name as many different ways of making it possible and information on the ways and stuff.
      thank you.
      Last edited by K4J; 07-04-2009 at 12:58 AM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Hope some-one can help you.

Have you looked thro the moving to the USA Threads K4J

Oh & welcome to B-A.

traveller
      Hi K4J and welcome,

If you and your boyfriend are engaged to be married you could apply for a fiance visa. Other than that you could try to find an employer to sponsor you if you have a high level of skills and experience. One other option would be to study in the US yourself but as an International Student you would be paying much higher course fees and would need to prove that you have ample money in your bank account to support yourself without working for a year. The website below gives an outline of visas for the US.

Visa Home
      Last edited by traveller; 07-04-2009 at 09:32 PM.

K4J
      Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
      Hi K4J and welcome,

If you and your boyfriend are engaged to be married you could apply for a fiance visa. Other than that you could try to find an employer to sponsor you if you have a high level of skills and experience. One other option would be to study in the US yourself but as an International Student you would be paying much higher course fees and would need to prove that you have ample money in your bank account to support yourself without working for a year. The website below gives an outline of visas for the US.

Visa Home
      hey, and thank you first of all.
      I told my bf about your ideas. And he said to me that the engagement idea sounds the best. And now he is thinking about getting engaged to me.

traveller
      Hi K4J,

You both need to read through the requirements for the fiance visa because it's my understanding of the regulations that you would need to be following him to the US to marry pretty soon after arriving, so if you're just planning on staying engaged you may not be eligible for the visa.

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiance(e) (K-1)

Obviously you both know what's best for you and I wish you lots of luck!

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by K4J View Post
      please name as many different ways of making it possible
      thank you.
      There are four I know of:

K1 -- the "fiancee visa" -- marry within 90 days and then adjust status to conditional permanent resident.
      K3 -- the pointless visa. Don't go there!
      IR1/CR1 immigrant visa -- for those already married
      AOS -- adjustment of status from some other legal status when already here.

MahlaTru
      Hate to be a kill joy too! but you need to have lots of cash.. It costs a lot of money even if you are going through the fiance visa thing.. there are lots of hidden costs and you have to pay more to make the adjustment.. So even though you think you're finished paying when you get married.. There is more to pay!

Don't take marriage too lightly K4] That route is not as simple as you think either.. I know because I got married on the fiance visa. The forms are confusing, and you need to have lots of determination.. but the biggest thing.. You need to be sure you love each other before taking that step.

Good luck! but the best way is through education.. Get a degree, get over here to work and then decide if you want to get married or not. If the marriage turns sour, you get sent home again anyhow. Think hard before you jump.

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by MahlaTru View Post
      If the marriage turns sour, you get sent home again anyhow.
      No, you don't!

MahlaTru
      I was told that if my marriage broke down within the first two years while I was on a temporary greencard then I could be sent back to the UK.

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by MahlaTru View Post
      I was told that if my marriage broke down within the first two years while I was on a temporary greencard then I could be sent back to the UK.
      You certainly might, but most won't. If you can show the marriage was entered to in good faith, you can file your I-751 to remove the conditions on your green card despite the fact you're no longer married. If there was any abuse in the marriage, VAWA provisions may also provide a route.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast