Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By traveller
    • 1 Post By traveller

Thread: Want to move and work in America

matty

Want to move and work in America

Hello all,

I wish to move and work in America, but it seems at the moment a distant achievement, so I guess I need some good advice to improve this possibility.

I'm a UK resident, with a Science Degree (bachelors). For the past 2 years I have been working as an Administrative Officer for the Medicine and Healthcare product Regulatory Agency, based in London (the US equivalent of the US Food and Drug Administration-FDA)

I am looking for positions within the pharmaceutical industry, particularly in 'regulatory affairs' that deal with making and organising applications necessary to licence and sell prescription drugs. Or any administrative jobs that are scientific based.

Iím under the illusion that 'sponsorship for VISA' for such jobs is slim, and Iím having trouble finding jobs through pharmaceutical recruitment agencies that offer position in the US.

Does anyone have any advice or useful website that may help me?

thanks

m

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Florida Redhead is on a distinguished road
      I found this website, but I'm afraid it doesn't sound hopeful for "Pharmacists outside North America". It lists each State's Licensing Board: -

Licensing: Pharmacists – USA - MedHunters

The Pharmacists' Magazine:
      America's Pharmacist Online

You would need to get qualified on this side of the Pond, so I'm wondering if you could get a Student Visa and enroll at a Community College?
      Community Colleges are not as expensive as the big ones, and I've known several overseas students who got a Visa. They could also work part-time while they earned their qualifications, and some of them stayed on and got jobs.

Florida and California have a high demand for medical and pharmaceutical positions, as many people like to retire in the sun. Florida is sometimes referred to as "God's Waiting Room"

There is a college in Orlando which has a section for "International Students" on the left of this page:

International Student Services - Valencia Community College

Community College Times

Mid Florida Tech has advice about getting a Student Visa:
      Mid Florida Tech | Orlando | International Students

I haven't read the content of these pages, but you might find some useful information there.

Good Luck!

Title
      Liked
      169 times
      Rep
      purple is on a distinguished road
      HI Matty,

There are so many cuts in the US workforce right now that the problem may well be that there just aren't as many positions avaliable as the agencies are having you believe. Any jobs that are actually available will usually be heavily subscribed by American workers too, and this is obviously an easier route for any company rather than employing an immigrant worker.
      Honestly, IMO your best bet may be just to look for a position within an international company in the UK that has offices in the US that often transfers intercompany. Of course I wouldn't necessarily suggest jumping out of a secure job right now if you have one, either.

Based on personal experience, you should really have no problem in obtaining a transcript of your BSc degree if it was deemed necessary to have it as an equivalent here to land a particular job in the US.
      All I can say is keep looking, and remember that everyone that has a job here at the moment is trying to hang onto it.
      Also, having a Masters never hurts, if you have the time to do it.

Best wishes.

matt2
      All,

Ok, so i have had a nightmare trying to sign back in, changed my password and even that does not work, the result, is me signing in as a new user...matt2!

Just want to thank you for your responses, i guess it would be difficult to make such a move, and that has not changed. However, your input has provided food for thought and maybe dusting of the old pencil case and getting back to study maybe an idea to pursue! Cost of such study...throws another spanner in the works however!! I will have a look at the sources provided and see!

thanks again,

matt (matt2)

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      c1arkie is on a distinguished road
      Like Matt I am a UK citizen wishing to make the switch to the US. My wife is a Legal US Resident and so we have submitted the petition to for my residency, but the queues are horrendous and they are still dealing with petitions from 2006! However, if she goes for her US citizenship, which she is eligible to apply for, then that could speed things up.

I would prefer to secure employment in the US. I have a business background in banking and management consulting with seven years experience in a major UK bank and major global consulting firm - recently laid off though. Bachelors in Business, and Post Graduate Diploma in Business too.

Are there visas that exists that would enable me to do a "tour of duty" for example. Enable me to spend some time in the US to perhaps search for work? My in-laws are on the East Coast, plus I have cousins in Georgia and Arizona... so accomodation is fine.

I was also intrigued about your student visa references, as I have considered training in the US to become a teacher of business or IT.

Just floating around some options ... open to tips/advice

THANKS

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      traveller is on a distinguished road
      Hi c1arkie,

My husband secured an offer of employment when we were over on holiday using the Visa Waiver Program for up to 90 days - basically here on holiday - so that might give you enough time to look for work. Then you'll need to go through the lengthy sponsorship process through which you can apply for your Green Card - when we first got here they told us the Green Card process would take up to 4 years, that's now dropped to two but it's been a long hard wait so it might be worth comparing this with your wife becoming a citizen and how long that would take. Just one note of caution - you can be turned away even under the Visa Waiver Program if they find out you are unemployed - you still have to be able to prove that you can support yourself for they 90 days if they pick you out and question you.

Visa Home

As far as work - well I know plenty of people will tell you the doom and gloom but it's worth taking a second look - Wells Fargo are posting record profits for the first quarter and local branches here haven't laid people off - rather they're expanding. There are jobs out there so don't give up! Especially as you seem pretty adaptable in the direction of work you're willing to take.

As a student you would need to look at being an International Student and have the funds in your bank account to support yourself for at least a year on top of the course fees. I'm also a teacher but I have to retrain here in California - each state has it's own requirements - but I'm waiting for my Green Card to make the process easier. Also the idea of Adult Education is a little different here so qualifications don't transfer so easily.

I wish you luck!
      c1arkie likes this.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      MahlaTru is on a distinguished road
      I have a BA in Social Science, I live in the USA and was told that I shouldn't have much of a problem getting a job because I have the BA.. (This was pre-recession news). However, even if the recession hadn't taken hold of us all, I'm now told that I needed to have done a four year BA and not a three year one, as earned in the UK. If I want to complete a four year BA degree here.. I have to do two extra years of training to take me up to what is considered to be a four year USA Degree.. Just to do the job that I have been doing for over 15 years!! I'm also told by others that this is not unusual.. Oh well such is life.. but it would have been nice to know before I got out here.. I could have taken extra training in the UK to make it up to four years..

I have to consider my self to be lucky though because I have a good supportive husband who I love very much and who is happy to keep supporting us while I train further..

Stay faithful to your goal and you will make it.. one day!

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      traveller is on a distinguished road
      I agree with you MahlaTru. You have to have faith that you can achieve your dreams and goals.
      It can be very demoralising when you keep hitting hurdles especially when you've made the move out here and you weren't given the full picture concerning your qualifications and long-term work status. Having a supportive partner/family is so important in making it work but I also think being somewhere as beautiful as California helps! Things for us have constantly changed from what we anticipated before we got here and we take each new hurdle or step forward as they come and we just remember why we wanted to be here in the first place!
      MahlaTru likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      missnaughty57 is on a distinguished road
      Hi all!

I'm 22 and looking to move to the states and work there. I am recently single and eager to make a start, but struggling on where to start.
      I work for a small company in the U.K, so no chance of sponshorship to the U.S.
      If anyone could reccomend what to do or how to start, without loads of big words that would be really appreciated.
      I don't have any family, live on my own in a rented flat.

Please Help
      Thnx