Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      missnaughty57

Thread Wanting to make a fresh start in America...

Hey all!

So here goes, I'm 22 years old, and have 6 years experience in Customer Service, Sales and Administration. I'm also studying part-time via the Open University.

I am single, no family watsoever, and renting a flat at the moment.

I know its going to be hard, but i am prepared to work hard for something that I really want, and i know it just won't happen overnight.

However, i have just spent the last 6 hours on the net, and feel a little overwhelmed as there doesn't seem to be a concrete way to start.

If someone...anyone..could advise me on the steps to take and where to begin i would really appreciate it!

Any help is great

Thanks

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Septicbrit
      Your research was good. The fact that you didn't find anything tells you it's not there.

From what you've written so far, the only notable thing that would give you an opportunity is your single marital status.

Most who move to America move here through force of circumstance rather than volition. This is very different from those who choose to emigrate to Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

missnaughty57
      so what would you reccommend doing?

traveller
      Quote Originally Posted by Septicbrit View Post
      Your research was good. The fact that you didn't find anything tells you it's not there.

From what you've written so far, the only notable thing that would give you an opportunity is your single marital status.

Most who move to America move here through force of circumstance rather than volition. This is very different from those who choose to emigrate to Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
      I would agree with some of your post but as for the last comment - I think that's over-generalising a bit. I haven't yet met another Brit here who didn't make the conscious choice to move here, after all you can choose not to. If it had been force of circumstance for many of us I think the transition would've been a lot easier!

missnaughty57 - if you're happy to work hard and plan for the future then nothing's impossible. I guess the simplest answer is that you have a choice of three - marrying a US citizen, moving a business here or getting an employer to sponsor you. If you're looking to get sposorship from an employer you need qualifications and experience and skills that are in short supply here.
      So I would probably tailor your research as to what your future career might be and what someone would want from you in order to sponsor you. Maybe you could start looking at some of the big companies here and see what positions they offer and the kind of the qualifications and experience they ask for. At the very least you'll need a Bachelors Degree and, I think, 5 years experience.
      But you do have youth and the willingness to work at it in your favour and I wish you luck!

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
      I would agree with some of your post but as for the last comment - I think that's over-generalising a bit. I haven't yet met another Brit here who didn't make the conscious choice to move here, after all you can choose not to. If it had been force of circumstance for many of us I think the transition would've been a lot easier!
      Ignoring the effect of the recent recession, your average Brit who wanted to move to Canada, OZ or NZ would probably have made it through their working skills. The same cannot be said of America in the past couple of decades. Perhaps it would be better to say that -- for many expats -- America chooses you rather than you choose America?

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by missnaughty57 View Post
      so what would you reccommend doing?
      The broad 4 categories for getting over here are money, family, skills or the diversity lottery.

Which one seems more likely for you?

missnaughty57
      that diversity lottery, i looked at that, and the u.k can't apply for it but i am a german citizen living in the u.k, so they said i could apply for that...but its a lot of money!
      i don't have any family over there, not a lot of money to my name and my skills, well i have sales experience, manager experience and thts 6 years worth!
      i just don't reli know where to start!

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by missnaughty57 View Post
      that diversity lottery, i looked at that, and the u.k can't apply for it but i am a german citizen living in the u.k, so they said i could apply for that...but its a lot of money!
      i don't have any family over there, not a lot of money to my name and my skills, well i have sales experience, manager experience and thts 6 years worth!
      i just don't reli know where to start!

The DV is the best visa money can't buy! Eligibility is based on where you were born, not your citizenship. Entering the lottery is free. If you win, you're probably going to need to show fund of around $13k or so. Apply this November if Congress doesn't stop it in the forthcoming immigration bill.

Your skill set really isn't going to cut it. Get a degree in something technology orientated if you want to be in with a chance.

purple
      Septic is right on on this part, the work related skills you have won't cut it for a permanent residency in the US for you.
      Managers and customer service personnel are not in short supply here, no matter what their experience.
      Sorry.

tlg8
      I'm 23, born and raised in the United States. I live in Connecticut, but I studied abroad in London and I absolutely loved it. Actually I am dying to move over there! I am single, no children, also renting a flat- we should swap places, like in the movie, The Holiday. Haha

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast