Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 2 of 2
    1. #1

      Wanting to move but struggling to find the answers

      I work for a US company in the UK, and believe that I can get a permanant residency permit based on transfer (EB1 Visa).
      However, my partner would either need to look for work when there, or would be our childcare provider, however I have heard rumours that you can't immigrate without being married.
      We have been together for 8 years, and have a child together and a joint mortgage, so can prove we are a couple, we just don't want to get married yet.
      Can anybody point me in the right direction. If we aren't married and are able to go, will he be prevented from being allowed to work, do I have to get seperate visas for the children to be able to study.

      Thanks in advance.

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2
      Welcome to Britsabroad :)

      The Eb-1 is for people with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. If you fit it and your company is deciding to send you then check this site out and see where you fit in.

      You do have a problem if you aren't married, in as much as your partner isn't recognised as your spouse. The USCIS don't bend the rules for people, irrespective of whether they have cast iron proof to show that they're a couple, or not. Good news however, if you qualified to work and apply for LPR, your child would be able to gain that status too.

      I won't be around for a week as from tomorrow, so if you have further questions on this then hopefully one of our other members will be able to answer them for you. :)

      all the best