• 1 Post By Christine Shaaban

Thread: Washing machine temperature

Title
      Liked
      5 times
      Rep
      Christine Shaaban is on a distinguished road

Washing machine temperature

Hello fellow exile citizens,Yes, a very weird subject but it is driving me insane. I hope somebody can enlighten me.Bought a washing machine and to my horror realised that there is no water heater inside the machine. Apparently this is normal here.I have settings called hot, warm, cool and cold and no further explanation inside the manual.So far nobody can tell me what the temperature equivalent is.The general guess seems to be that hot is just whatever your hot water tank has to offer (can't check the temperature setting there either!!!!); warm mixing hot and cold; and cold is just cold. Haven't had any suggestions for cool yet.Does anybody have an insight here?I am basically trying to find out if it is as easy as hot=60c, warm=40c and cool is possibly 30c.Or what the mixing ratio usually is, then I can work it out myself.At least I now know why they use so much bleach!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      LOL Christine, I know exactly what you mean....Must things I use warm.... hot if it's mainly lights. I would say as for temps you are probably right. I use Tide (with Downy) and it does the job :) I do have a stain remover spray although I have only used it about twice in the 5 months we have been here LOL

Title
      Liked
      5 times
      Rep
      Christine Shaaban is on a distinguished road
      I actually managed to nail down the manufacturer (in our case Frigidaire) on an answer.
      Hot = 120F
      Warm = 90F
      both +/- 7F

So then I had nothing better to do than to do my own little stain removal test. LOL
      As we are still on rented furniture, incl towels I couldn't help myself.
      I took two towels stained it with Red Wine, Soy Sauce, Ketchup and Mustard and washed one on 'hot' and one on 'warm'. (I know, I'm insane!)
      Nearly the same result. 'hot' did get a slightly better result as Soy Sauce and Red Wine where both completely gone as to 'warm' nearly almost.
      But there now is a new question: what do they put in French's mustard?!?!?! In both cases there is still a bright yellow mark!

Anyway, I rest easy now and hope I have helped some other poor soul on the journey to settling into a new live in a very weird world that is the USA.
      guest3160 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Lol, very good Christine! At least you know now! I give up...have taken t buying an enzyme boost powder to put in with my washing, the kids school tops and OH work tops look dirtier than when i put them in sometimes! And i wash everything on 60d!

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Christine Shaaban View Post
      I actually managed to nail down the manufacturer (in our case Frigidaire) on an answer.
      Hot = 120F
      Warm = 90F
      both +/- 7F

Now to translate that into English