Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      gemcraig is on a distinguished road

Young family moving to US! HELP :-)

Me, my partner (not married) and young son (6) are hoping to move to the US; we've only just started looking into this and really don't have a clue what we need to do!

We both have degrees and he has 4 years experience in his degree field - I only have a couple of months as I've just graduated! Hoping to get some advice on what visas we might need... if my son just tags along with us?? Do you need a visa if you're applying for a green card?

We are hoping to both try and secure job offers before coming as I'm assuming this would be far easier! We are hoping to move to either PA or CA - but anywhere we can get jobs if need be! Any advice on where to look for jobs would be great; I work in marketing and my partner is a sports coach.

And any other advice, on anything, would really be appreciated! Thanks! :-)

Gemma

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Vickk14 is on a distinguished road
      Hi Gemma, I too am a Marketing Graduate looking to move and work in the U.S. I graduated in 2014 and have been working full time in a marketing position from May 2014. I have looked into some information on H1B visa but hopefully someone on here has some experience or advice they can give us. I have been looking at jobs and applying with cv and cover letter but not sure if this is the best thing to do? Vick

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Vickk14 View Post
      Hi Gemma, I too am a Marketing Graduate looking to move and work in the U.S. I graduated in 2014 and have been working full time in a marketing position from May 2014. I have looked into some information on H1B visa but hopefully someone on here has some experience or advice they can give us. I have been looking at jobs and applying with cv and cover letter but not sure if this is the best thing to do? Vick

I think H1B is the best visa to get in on, as its permanent... From what I've read the best way to obtain one is to get an employer to sponsor you but they have to prove that nobody else that applied could do the job they are offering you; it's all a bit complicated for me! But yes, I'd guess just applying for jobs or trying to contact an agency that recruits for overseas companies. I know my partner has found a company that recruits UK sports coaching for positions in the US.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      CriggleWiggle is on a distinguished road
      Has anybody done this? Or does anyone know the steps to take to make this happen?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
      Last edited by CriggleWiggle; 21-12-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Tiffeyman is on a distinguished road
      Hello All

we went through the move from UK to US back in 1991. The key to moving here is to be sponsored by an employer here (trying it on any family relationship other than spouse or parent takes 10 years plus). I was on a temporary company transfer from the UK to Los Angeles (visa taken out by the company). At the end of 6 months, said company decided they wanted me to work in their US location and committed to be my sponsor. I hired an attorney and began the long (years) process to getting a green card. After that we took citizenship (more years). Again, the key is that your employer makes the commitment to sponsor you, not just 'if you go there we will give you a job'.There are legal implications for them to sponsor you. The next hurdle is to convince the US Labor Board that you are the only person able to do that job. Your position is posted in the local press and applications accepted, interviewed etc. If any of those applicants can do your job then your done, your on a plane back to the UK. It is a long and arduous path that, on many occasions for a number of reasons, we almost gave up on. If you are committed and get lucky you can do it. If its a case of you just fancy working over here for a while to see how it is, don't bother; your going to go through a great deal of stress, heartache and cost. Wish I could be more positive but you have to have your eyes wide open going into such an undertaking.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffeyman View Post
      Hello All

we went through the move from UK to US back in 1991. The key to moving here is to be sponsored by an employer here (trying it on any family relationship other than spouse or parent takes 10 years plus). I was on a temporary company transfer from the UK to Los Angeles (visa taken out by the company). At the end of 6 months, said company decided they wanted me to work in their US location and committed to be my sponsor. I hired an attorney and began the long (years) process to getting a green card. After that we took citizenship (more years). Again, the key is that your employer makes the commitment to sponsor you, not just 'if you go there we will give you a job'.There are legal implications for them to sponsor you. The next hurdle is to convince the US Labor Board that you are the only person able to do that job. Your position is posted in the local press and applications accepted, interviewed etc. If any of those applicants can do your job then your done, your on a plane back to the UK. It is a long and arduous path that, on many occasions for a number of reasons, we almost gave up on. If you are committed and get lucky you can do it. If its a case of you just fancy working over here for a while to see how it is, don't bother; your going to go through a great deal of stress, heartache and cost. Wish I could be more positive but you have to have your eyes wide open going into such an undertaking.

Thanks so much! I kind of figured out that would be the only way it would be possible; and yes it seems way too difficult for us! Maybe if we are in a similar situation a few years from now (transfer to US available) we'll give it a go ... but for now, I think it's best to look at relocating in Europre/UK!