Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.Africa

jps

S.Africa

Am I the only one that's lived here then?

Surley someone must of at least been on holiday?
      I spent 8yrs in Durban,have been told it isn't the same anymore,I was there in the 70's,it was great.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Sailed around the coast in my Navy days JPS and that too was in the early 70's.

Went from Capetown to Port Elizabeth, One i can't remember and ended up at Durban.

Oh and by the way Doz is in Vietnam because of work.

jps
      My husband was in the R.Navy in those days,but I didn't know him then.
      The first ship I went on was a huge container ship which my cousin captained and docked in Durban,I hadn't seen him since I was 8yrs old,then all of a sudden there he was in Durban,went on board for a good night,was amazed at the facilities on board.
      Left the dock with a boot full of booze,have never seen him since

Daisy
      We migrated to Rhodesia and I went to school there and then moved to Northern Rhodesia, Zimbabwe and Zambia, my brother was born in Zim.

Now we live in Aus

jps

S.A.

I never got to Rhodesia,shame really,have been told it is/was lovely.
      I too went to Oz after Africa,lived in W.Australia,Perth,where abouts are you
      Daisy?
      It probably says on your avantar,will have a look.

jps

S.A

Nope Daisy,it didn't say

sammy

Which company to use?

Hi there, my boyfriend and I currently live in London, but would like to move to Cape Town. We thought it best to get a company to transfer us to Cape Town.

So the question is, whcih company transferred you, and do you know if there is a position available for a chartered accountant?

thanks

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
      My husband was in the R.Navy in those days,but I didn't know him then.
      The first ship I went on was a huge container ship which my cousin captained and docked in Durban,I hadn't seen him since I was 8yrs old,then all of a sudden there he was in Durban,went on board for a good night,was amazed at the facilities on board.
      Left the dock with a boot full of booze,have never seen him since
      Hi jps

Thats a funny tale - love it - It proves family are there when you need them.

Regards

Andy + Team Canada

trishfisher

Durban!

Hi Andy, I lived in Swaziland in the 60s/70's and spent every holiday/long weekends in Durban. We stayed in a hotel along the sea front, used to run straight out of the door onto the beach each morning - a fabulous place! I have a lot of friends living in SA still and went back for a visit last month again to meet up with a hundred friends from Swaziland and SA in Jo'Burg. We didnt get to Durban this time. Jo'Burg has changed a lot since the 70's, and Swaziland has changed some, but most of my hometown was still the same as we remembered it. Awesome country! We'll be back for the world cup in 2010 and coming to Durban then. We have a website for expats and have reunions all over the world - the next SA one is in 2010, so let me know if you want to join us!
      trishfisher@sky.com

Rosie Avalon
      Hi Trish!

Its great to meet people here. I recently arrived in Cape Town from the UK. Looking to make some friends. Any advice for a young British girl who stepped off the boat in January. Culture shock is ok slowly getting used to it. Can't get over paying just over a pound for a return train fare having lived in london for 5 years.

Love Rosie x

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast