Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree6Likes
    • 1 Post By RobWilliams
    • 1 Post By Aldo
    • 1 Post By Ktee
    • 1 Post By Cranky Pants
    • 2 Post By Letsy

Thread: Does what you read on a forum influence your decisions?

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      117 times
      Rep
      RobWilliams is on a distinguished road

Does what you read on a forum influence your decisions?

Just wondering if what you read on any forums/social networks etc influence your decisions?
      Would constantly being told a particular place was bad for example, make you change your mind about moving there? I've read about people wondering if they should emigrate now as they've read so many posts about people returning to the UK (for example) and how bad the intended destination country is. Is is a dangerous situation when life changing decisions can seemingly be influenced by perception created by a group of posters.
      Conversely, would reading so many posts about how great the UK is and the constant highlighting of things that are great about the UK start to gnaw a way at you little by little and make you doubt/question your decision to emigrate?
      Personally, I can't envisage moving back to the UK, but the constant chip,chip,chip has maybe put the ever so slightest, almost infinitesimal question mark in my head.
      Aldo likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      For me me personally, nothing would have stopped me from migrating to Australia. I remember not long before going I was working with a painter and decorator here who had just returned and was saying i was crazy to go and he predicted i would also be back within the year (i lasted 18 months). I completely dismissed his comments and anyone else's whether online or real life, I was going to live in Australia and nothing anyone could say would stop me.
      RobWilliams likes this.
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      894 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Personally, yes I think it does. I remember when we were looking at moving over, everyone kept saying how wonderful Mornington and Mt Martha were and that everyone moved there, I had never even heard of these places but knew that when we arrived that is where I wanted to live.
      I also agree that with all the UK threads on a particular forum it has made me consider going back for a holiday which is something I wouldn't have before, who knows, maybe I am easily led lol.
      Aldo likes this.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Cranky Pants is on a distinguished road
      Don;t really pay much attention to what people think.I like to make up my own mind.
      Aldo likes this.

petermorrisonusa
      Even I am like you cranky... I just think and do what I want.
      Last edited by Cal; 12-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Letsy is on a distinguished road
      Yes I do take notice, but with qualifications:

I think that word-of-mouth is one of the best ways of finding out about good service/product/country!
      On the latter, I'm always mindful of the glass half empty/full thing.

It is the volume of views,-not just a couple of them that I take notice of, and I take more notice of a view that is actually happy in a country-but is still prepared to say 'this is the downside'. Those views have far more value for me, because they are not just 'bag out' views, they are more balanced.
      Aldo and Sapphire like this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Sapphire is on a distinguished road
      I think there are far more people than there used to be, reading both sides of the migration story, and they need to
      Ive noticed a fair few on other forums, who are now auctually questioning, whether they can get a job, or find someone to live, and not just listening to the "of course you can answers"
      Theres so many who are arriving and finding the jobs are not what they thought,and not as readily available, as what they thought,and also theres a lot of people arriving finding they just can not find accomodation,especially if they have pets
      Ive seen so many turn around and head back,,,,because things are just not what they had been told, by the "cheery brigade"
      But the "cheery brigade" wont pay their bills and put food on their tables, when things go wrong

Its one heck of a gamble,if you have nothing definate on arrival
      You have to look at everything, and say "ok, if its all what Im told,,,great, but if its not,what can I do??? can I afford to take this gamble?,
      Have I got enough resourses to get home???
      Do I really want to give up my home,my job, my security,that I have, to maybe get a job,maybe get somewhere to live???
      Its a no-brainer for me now, but Ive risked everything, and thank goodness we survived, but it was by the skin of our teeth.Would I risk it all again?...Not a chance, knowing what I know now, and knowing the situation I have seen so many others in
      Its really a commonsense situation, but I know how easy it is to dismiss any negative comments,and only listen to the good, and sometimes for some, that can be the biggest mistake they will ever make, if it all goes wrong,in their new country