Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: Help re "NHS"


    1. #1
      skylark

      Help re "NHS"

      Can a UK citizen living permanently in Canada receive these benefits on visiting UK?

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2
      Liz H

      UK benefits

      Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
      Can a UK citizen living permanently in Canada receive these benefits on visiting UK?
      I may be wrong, but I think the answer is 'NO '

    4. #3
      Liz H

      NHS eligibility

      According to my sources, once you leave the UK permanenty, and have been out of the country for more than 3 months you are no longer eligible for NHS treatment..As a courtesy, the British Government continues to allow coverage for 3 months from the date of emigration, since it usually takes that long for similar insurance in the new country to become valid. However, you would receive emergency treatment in the UK, if this is needed when visiting.You will not be able to get day to day treatment, however.

    5. #4
      skylark
      Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
      According to my sources, once you leave the UK permanenty, and have been out of the country for more than 3 months you are no longer eligible for NHS treatment..As a courtesy, the British Government continues to allow coverage for 3 months from the date of emigration, since it usually takes that long for similar insurance in the new country to become valid. However, you would receive emergency treatment in the UK, if this is needed when visiting.You will not be able to get day to day treatment, however.

      Thank you so much

    6. #5
      Florida Redhead
      The Health Minister has cracked down on "Health Tourism".
      The new restrictions say if you spend more than 3 months outside the EU, you will not be eligible for treatment, except for emergencies.

      Quote the Health Minister in Daily Mail:
      "No matter how much they have paid in tax and National Insurance over the years, such expatriates will now have to pay for NHS care back in Britain.
      Only treatment for emergencies - such as heart attacks, accidents or sudden illness - will still be free.
      The move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish Costas, France or other European countries.
      Under the 'health tourism' clampdown, thousands of expat pensioners will find themselves being quizzed on their eligibility.
      The Department of Health said it had made one concession - that pensioners who return to the UK 'to spend their final years' will still be eligible for free care.
      But pensioners who spend more than three months outside the EU - in countries such as Canada, America or Australia - will find they become ineligible."

      However.....if they can't keep track of the illegals, how on earth can they keep track of British Citizens who are free to travel anywhere?
      Sure, when you fly into Europe there will be a record, but somehow I don't think this will be strictly enforced.
      Still, you can't depend on it.

      The NHS was a mess from the start. Instead of setting it up just for British taxpayers, they let anybody who happened to be in the Country use it.
      Wealthy Middle-Eastern women came to Britain to have their babies.
      My Uncle had lived in Canada for 50 years, whe he came back on holiday.
      He broke his dentures, and got them fixed. He also went to see a doctor. He tried to pay for these services and they wouldn't take his money.
      I remember him saying "At this rate, the UK will be bankrupt before long".
      Now we have a situation where we who paid tax and National Insurance for years can not access the NHS, while illegals and layabouts get it all.

      I think it's just sunshine envy.....:yes:

    7. #6
      Andy Chapman
      There is one bit I don't understand. It says if you've spent more than 3 months outside the EU and then quotes this.

      "The move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish Costas, France or other European countries."

      Didn't the quote say those outside the EU? I always thought Spain, France and other European countries were in the EU. Ok some European countries are outside the EU, but not many of them.

      Surely Commonwealth countries have more affiliation with Britain than most other European countries? The Commonweath should get priority over the Europeans?

    8. #7
      Florida Redhead
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chapman View Post
      There is one bit I don't understand. It says if you've spent more than 3 months outside the EU and then quotes this.

      "The move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish Costas, France or other European countries."
      Didn't the quote say those outside the EU? I always thought Spain, France and other European countries were in the EU. Ok some European countries are outside the EU, but not many of them.
      Surely Commonwealth countries have more affiliation with Britain than most other European countries? The Commonweath should get priority over the Europeans?
      Yes, it's ambiguous isn't it?
      That's why I think it's not really enforceable. The Minister himself seems confused. I think they're hoping it will make ex-pats set up their own insurance and lower their expectations.
      Regarding Commonwealth Countries.......I don't understand why they don't get State Pension cost of living increases, while I do.
      Not that I'm complaining! I'm just p*d off that the US is taxing the heck out of it.

    9. #8
      skylark

      Nhs

      Thanks for info. Most helpful.