Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Ktee

Thread: How can this be so difficult to return to my home country with my U.S.A spouse

saz

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      saz is on a distinguished road

How can this be so difficult to return to my home country with my U.S.A spouse

Anyone else find themselves unable to move easily back to the U.K because of the financial requiements set by a spousal visa (18,000 GB pounds +.) We have 4 children who by the way are U.K citzens, yet my american husband whom i've been married to for 12years has to show this enormous amount of money for us to return????? help is this really the case? btw he speaks perfect english and is highly skilled in carpentry and sales but we can't afford to moved back to my family in the U.Kbe cause of this????

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Really, is this what they say, that's terrible, I always thought it was so easy to get in.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Hi Saz, I'm just looking at the form, is it actually saying he must be earning that, ie they don't want him coming over and claiming benefits? Therefore, bear in mind I have no idea on the UK system, could he come over to the UK, find a job where he will be earning over 18,000 and then apply?

I found this

PARTNER OF A BRITISH CITIZEN OR SETTLED PERSON

Financial requirement

Can you apply?
      This page explains how you can meet the financial requirement when you apply to come to, or stay, in the UK as the partner of :

• a British citizen;
      • a person settled in the UK; or
      • a person in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection.

You must meet a financial requirement if you are applying for entry to the UK, permission to stay here or for settlement. If you have children that are not British citizens or settled here that you want to live with you in the UK, you will need to meet a higher financial requirement.
      You can meet the financial requirement through:

• the income from employment or self employment of your sponsor;
      • the income from your employment or self employment if you are in the UK;
      • certain income from sources other than employment, such as rent from property;
      • state or private pensions of you and your sponsor;
      • maternity allowances or bereavement benefits received in the UK; or
      • cash savings over a certain level (the amount of savings that you need to have will depend the level of other income that you and your sponsor have . If you are applying to enter the UK, you will need to have a higher level of savings than if you are applying to extend your stay).

How much income do I need to have?

You must have an income of at least 18,600.
      If you are sponsoring a child as well as a partner you will need an income of at least 22,400.
      For each additional child being sponsored you will need an additional income of 2,400. For example, if you are you are bringing 2 children with you to the United Kingdom, you must have and income of 22,400 and 2,400 for the additional child, so a total of 24,800.
      You will be required to provide documents to show that you can meet the financial requirement. The way you meet the requirement will be different, depending on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK.
      Exemptions

You will be exempt from the new financial requirement if your sponsor receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer's allowance in the UK. You will need to show that your sponsor can maintain and accommodate you without access to public funds.
      For more information about the financial requirement and the evidence we need, read Annex FM 1.7 - Financial requirement, which you can find on the right side of this page. It is guidance for our staff.

More information

• Accommodation

guest3160 likes this.

saz

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      The thing is, I get the need to stop the system being abused. However I've paid taxes in the U.K and have never claimed off the system. So I'm returning to my home country where I do speak the first language. All of my family of many generations are hoping to see all of us again and really are surprised to hear the difficulties involved. My grandad is 96 years of age, a POW surviver. Aren't these two countries supposed to be allies. This is a huge amount of money, then the policy is too general.?? I and the children have been effectively exhiled.. really...??

saz

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      They hold a dim view if you apply within the country for a visa... to extend your stay. May'be that is possible to find a job first , however employers would either require legal status of you being there or then be will to sponsor you from that position. hmm. I very much doubt it..

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Seems silly Saz, but they will lets thousands of asylum seekers in no questions, they need to rethink their priorities. Thats the UK system all over though

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Saz have you chatted with an agent to see if there is something we are missing?

Title
      Liked
      7 times
      Rep
      exbrit69 is on a distinguished road
      I tried it with my Indonesian wife when we first married in 2003 and gave it up. That UKVisas is a real pain in the rear and instead of assisting UK citizens, they make it as difficult as possible. A few of my friends who married foreigners also had to go through system and it was rejected. They appealed and that was rejected. They started from scratch again and got a 2 year visa with exactly the same info as they has to begin with.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by exbrit69 View Post
      I tried it with my Indonesian wife when we first married in 2003 and gave it up. That UKVisas is a real pain in the rear and instead of assisting UK citizens, they make it as difficult as possible. A few of my friends who married foreigners also had to go through system and it was rejected. They appealed and that was rejected. They started from scratch again and got a 2 year visa with exactly the same info as they has to begin with.
      It's terrible how they can do this, it just doesn't make sense. It's like they are punishing you for leaving the country in the first place