• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Ali

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Ali is on a distinguished road

How will you spend xmas

This is our 2nd year in Oz and it doesn't feel quite so strange this year shopping in the sunshine - it felt so odd last year that I really struggled to get into the Chrismas Spirit.

Now we know what to expect .. I'm well into it this year, not least because my dad whose 70 has made the trip (he arrived today) to spend xmas and new year with us so it's going to be extra special.

The street we live on has an annual xmas party which was great last year, Santa came on the back of his Ute and gave out pressies to all the kids - it was excellent. However, there are things I miss, the christingle service at our church on xmas eve followed by friends over for dinner - which all added to the excitement for the kids (and us too).

So, I just wondered how all you ex-pats in different parts of the world will be celebrating the festive season and if there's anything you miss?

Ali
      The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove they need you in theirs

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Ali

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Ali is on a distinguished road
      Been busy - worked full time again for a few weeks to cover my boss - realised that reducing my hours to 4 days was the best thing that I ever did. We're all pretty good thanks, kids are stoked that dad is here, Tom adores his grandad, but this makes it very difficult when he has to leave.

We'll probably have a traditional dinner as we don't eat until about 5 or 6pm on xmas day, and the best bit is I tend not to have to cook at all. So I sit, drinking my bucks fizz and cocktails and play with the kids ... heaven!! I am working boxing day though which is a bit of a bummer!
      The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove they need you in theirs

Cal

Title
      Liked
      218 times
      Rep
      Cal will become famous soon enough
      I really miss the tradiniol cooked lunch but its soo hot here i just cant convince hubby to have one,lol, i like staying home xmas day and watching the kids play with their new toys.
      Cal x

Remember the road to success is always under construction...

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      I'm not sure exactly what is planned for me in Melbourne this year.
      It will probably involve a turkey and some beef and some pork and some crackers and some alcohol.

I am tempted to buy the new spin off coronation dvd "Out of Africa" with me but it might be too advance story line wise.

Doz
      Thats nice to hear your Dad has arrived Ali, that will make xmas so much nicer im sure.
      Not much goes down here at xmas as far as i can make out so far but i shall cook a xmas lunch with whatever is available
      I also spotted a shop selling fairy lights so i think i might fill the apartment with those to make it look more festive
      A friend of ours is going to Thailand for xmas and has asked us to come over but im not sure yet as we have nobody to look after the cat

tuckerfa
      We have freinds coming over from England for our first Christmas here in Australia. They land on the 23rd so my guess is they'll still be knackered after the journey. Pretty certain we are going to the local beach at Wellington Point and having a BBQ. The kids have got kyaks (?) for Christmas so a beach Christmas for us.
      I can't wait!

Doz
      I just got back from a great market, got myself enough fairy lights to light up the whole of London! Cost about 50p a pack! Bargain to say the least, mind you there is no safety standard stamped on them anywhere! Come to think of it i dont think there are many safety standards here at all!!

Liz H

Christmas

( originally posted by Doz).
      Not much goes down here at xmas
      Hi Doz,
      I don't think there would be much in the way of Christmas Celebrations in Vietnam since the majority of the population follows some form of Buddhism, approx. 85%, though there are about 8-9% Christian. I have a Vietnamese friend who goes back each year for Tet celebrations which seem to be the big thing there and in other parts of Asia.

As for Christmas, I will make a somewhat traditional meal, though now a lonely one. I have been invited to join others, but prefer to stay at home with memories of happier times.

Do people in the UK still bake all their own cakes, mince pies etc? It has been a long time since I was there, so am out of touch in this regard.I have always done so and still do but in lesser quantities than before. Though I still have friends who ask if they are still on my ' baking list'.

Doz, has your husband recovered from his bout of dengue fever?
      Liz
      Last edited by Liz H; 23-11-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Ali - Great news having your dad over

Liz - my mum used to make the mince pies, home made stuffing, cranberry, apple sauce for the Christmas Eve pork, christmas pudding and Christmas fruit cake. I'm sure she used to make the last two in September / October ??? Not sure if as many folks do this anymore.

I would love our Family to have a Christmas BBQ on the beach so hopefully will get round to that one day but this year is our 2nd one out here and it will be same plot as back home just with lots of snow.

Will miss the swift couple of pints at the local prior to the meal.

Andy + T C

Doz
      Hi Liz, you are right, budishm is the big thing here and everyone celebrates Chinese new year in a massive way, it goes on for 15 days ive been told. I'll never mangae that!!
      Sorry to hear Christmas will be lonely for you Liz. Ours will be just the two of us so a very quiet one here too.

My Mum still does all the Christmas baking....cake/pudding and mince pies. I shall miss all that this year.

Lee is much better now thanks Liz, he is back working and very wary of mosquitos. I got bitten by one yesterday and am now paranoid i'll get Dengue fever lol!

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast