Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      mikenz

iplayer suggestions?

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions / reccomendations for watching UK tv programs overseas (I'm in New Zealand if it makes any difference)
      Cheers
      Mike

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      118 times
      Rep
      cerberus1 is on a distinguished road
      Hi Mike
      Welcome to the forum.
      I can only speak from personal experience here in Australia. There's various VPN solutions that will allow you to access iplayer & the like (google overplay vpn), but the problem I had was that when you put in the overhead of using a vpn, my internet connection just isn't fast enough to stream the video - if you've got a blazing fast connection in NZ, then you may be ok.
      A couple of weeks ago, I played around with a free trial of a slingbox - it's like basically having control of a freeview box in the UK which is connected to the internet. It worked in the sense that the video / audio was in sync / not skipping/stalling etc but due to the speed of my internet, the video quality was a bit ropey, again, may be ok for you, but it wasn't cheap, I'm sure the company was charging around $40/50 per month.

I don't know if you've heard or not, but BBC Worldwide are supposed to be launching an international version of iPlayer this year (There was an article about it in November in the Daily Telegraph). At the time of writing they hadn't decided if it was going to be funded by adverts or by charging the end user for the content. Worth while keeping an eye out for.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      118 times
      Rep
      cerberus1 is on a distinguished road
      Just a follow up on the international iplayer. News filtered out yesterday that the international version of the BBC’s popular iPlayer service, will cost less than $10 USD per month, which isn't too bad given that the annual licence fee now stands at 145.50.

Initially the service will only be available internationally via an iPad app and will definitely launch later this year

As of yet, the BBC hasn't made it exactly clear what content/programs will be available internationally via the iPlayer app, but the catch up service is expected to allow people abroad access to full seasons of BBC programmes, both past and present.

A spokesman for the BBC said the content on the global iPlayer would be very different from what British viewers receive through the licence fee.

"The global iPlayer will not be the BBC's entire UK services for a year wrapped up in an app. It will be a combination of current and past shows, editorially tailored for different international audiences," he said.

"By contrast, the licence fee entitles UK households to receive 10 TV channels, 15 national and 40 local radio services, BBC Online, BBC Mobile and BBC iPlayer - all free at the point of use.

"This access to new, live content via TV, radio and online is clearly very different from the great British programmes that will be available on the global iPlayer.

"Future profits from the global iPlayer will be reinvested back into the BBC to help make great, original programmes for UK licence fee payers."

Last month the BBC launched it's much-awaited iPlayer app for the iPad and Android-powered devices.

vtvictor45
      BBc- iplayer is basically special for watching the channels of the abroad

vtvictor45
      BBc- iplayer is basically special for watching the channels of the abroad

Trueblue
      Just seen you are a newbie Victor, welcome to Brits Abroad mate, hope you enjoy it

vtvictor45
      i think there is a problem of your another software which is interrupting you video software