Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Just Basic Curiosity

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Letsy is on a distinguished road

Just Basic Curiosity

Each of us sees our country of residence as 'better than', Most do this, some don't. It is easy to do in my opinion, when statements are made without any real comparison. I do it; others do it.

I'm resident in Australia (35 years), I want to return to the UK. Another story for another place.
      What we also do is put up the bestisest part of the country we are settled in-that too is human nature.

OK: for me the comparison is between Australia and the UK. Only material things I stress. For you it could be Spain/UK US/UK.

My questions:

1) In Oz we have adverts EVERYWHERE. (I visit an elderly lady in a nursing home. When the staff change her....er, nappy, they give her the pull off strip on it, which gives a stick-on area to attach to the..er, the..er, The thing is the strip that is removed...has an advert on it!! I jest not-a nurse showed me. J collects the bliddy things!!

Just the traffic information segment of the on-the-hour news,-just that small part; has an advert before and after!
      Our secondary stations here have copious advertisements. Two of them are adverts/marketing only. Nothing else!

Question: Is this the same in the UK? Is there this level of adverts?
      Is there now adverts on radio there; there never used to be.

2) Here in SA we apparently? have the second highest power costs in the World.

Question: (And I know this one is hard to define),-is power there really cheaper?

3) Question: Food? IS it cheaper, or is it cheaper for some products in some regions?

4) Question: Is UK TV permeated with reality shows, and repeats of old series? (some of which I enjoy because they are much higher in quality).

5) I checked four websites on this one: Our Prime Minister is the highest paid in the World, of Western democracies. The third highest of all calculable nations. More than the US President. More that the UK PM. Yet this is population wise- a small country.

Question: Are UK politicians allowed to just reward themselves in this manner without any laws to rein in excess?
      (Because of this political greed an 'independent' body was created to.....justify these increases! They are wholly dependent on Government for their jobs.......)

a) Do UK politicians have a Super (I can't quote figures without going to more bliddy research) scheme, FAR-far in excess of ordinary workers, that they can access at any time apparently, whilst working people have to wait until retirement age?

b) Are UK politicians allowed to go onto lucrative private positions-or even return to political life after retirement, and still keep their full political retirement payouts?

c) Do politicians receive payouts in the UK that make them instant millionaires? One one term politician here got a payout of just under $3 million dollars. Another young politician 'of the people' who did nearly twenty years, got just under $7 million dollars. She is 42 and never needs to work again! (Preening on TV when she got recognised for her negligible 'charity work'). She also gets generously paid for writing columns for our local rag.

(ALL papers in this State are owned by Murdoch btw This kind of
      total media ownership is supposed to be illegal.....).

d) Do your Parliamentarians there have Hyatt catered subsidized meals? Do they have an Olympic accredited (has to be certain width/length) swimming pool, and gymnasium?

All this is true. I researched it because I thought it was incorrect. It wasn't.

Enough wid de questions. I seeka de answers.

Anyone?

Last edited by Letsy; 11-09-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Spaced out. The post; not me!
      Aldo likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      off to work now but will ponder this and hopefully have some opinions this evening
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
      off to work now but will ponder this and hopefully have some opinions this evening

OK. Out myself now!

Flash
      There is now lots of adverts in UK aswell, but not as bad as you are explaining. There is adverts on public transport, the radio(lots!), cereal packets etc . . .

I've heard a lot about it being overpriced in Australia however supposedly the earnings are better?? To give you a brief idea of the prices here:
      Packet of crisps 0.45 pence, 4 pints of milk £1.10, Loaf of bread £1.00, average pair of jeans £25.00 . . .

There is loads of reality shows and repeat programmes, however there is loads of channels to compensate for this.

I couldn't possible answer any questions about politics

Hope this helps!! xx
      Letsy likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
      There is now lots of adverts in UK aswell, but not as bad as you are explaining. There is adverts on public transport, the radio(lots!), cereal packets etc . . .

I've heard a lot about it being overpriced in Australia however supposedly the earnings are better?? To give you a brief idea of the prices here:
      Packet of crisps 0.45 pence, 4 pints of milk £1.10, Loaf of bread £1.00, average pair of jeans £25.00 . . .

There is loads of reality shows and repeat programmes, however there is loads of channels to compensate for this.

I couldn't possible answer any questions about politics

Hope this helps!! xx

Thanks Flash! Much appreciated! I remember in the dim and distant that there weren't ad's on UK radio, but it is a sign of the times.

A lot of folks are increasingly saying that it's more expensive in Australia. I can't, because I don't know!

Crisps (called potato chips here!) hummm, size/weight comes into it, doesn't it? But 45p is about 72c Oz. IF size weight is the same-then yours are cheaper. We pay over a dollar here......I think? (I luv 'em, but they hate me!!).

4 pints milk? We are metric so it is per litre here,-then the conversion,-but I would say that that is cheaper.
      Bread? I think cheaper there.
      Jeans? We can pick 'em up for a song here , because most are made in Asia. You get cheaper/dearer jeans, but we can currently pick up lower end jeans here in BigW-or Target for $10! That would be ...er,..appx er, 7 quid.
      (At the mo' there is a price war thing on jeans! They are trying to outdo each other! I think KMart of some such has them for $8!) Perfectly functionable jeans too.

Our 'new' channels came in about two years ago. They were promoted strongly as 'Freeview'. I thought this was some special extra channel/s. It wasn't. It was simply free to air TV like all the other FTA channels.
      Adverts show about every 7 minutes on all channels. As I said two of these new channels are only adverts.

It isn't a stretch to say that it is no longer entertainment. It is ALL advertising. Programmes are shown to get people to view the ad's. So it's kind of the other way around now.

'Revenue' programmes are on the increase. These are the 'phone in for your favourite' type prog. The call cost is higher than the standard call cost, and of course that revenue in part funds the prog. (In the US those calls are free).

I have no yardstick to judge by. I wanted to know-rather than just make sweeping generalisations based on my negative/positive outlook.
      I wanted to know;- not if your politicians are as sleazy as ours,-(I know the answer to that one!), but if they are paid so handsomely by the taxpayer for the privilege of being sleazy.

However Flash, thanks to you I have got some info! 'They' say that chocolate is also better in the UK. I'll only know that if I eat 6 choc bars UK, and 6 choc bars Oz. (I might need another 6 to make sure!!)......

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Sorry in the delay (the joy of being self employed and book keeping)

Question: Is this the same in the UK? Is there this level of adverts?
      Is there now adverts on radio there; there never used to be.

Not as bad as in Aus but still irritating, but no where near as those crappy aussie ads that look home made and the erectile dysfunction.

2) Here in SA we apparently? have the second highest power costs in the World.

Question: (And I know this one is hard to define),-is power there really cheaper?

I would say that utility costs are pretty much the same. That said, the UK does have more of a "greener" attitude to power consumption. Construction of new homes has strict regulation with a lot of new builds being virtually zero cost to heat, in fact a lot of homes now SELL electricity back to the suppliers.

3) Question: Food? IS it cheaper, or is it cheaper for some products in some regions?

Absolutely cheaper here (UK), you will get the odd anomaly but 99% of groceries are cheaper and contrary to the anti UK brigade we also have fresh fruit and veg year round (organic too). Beef may be in the 1% where Aus wins this one.

4) Question: Is UK TV permeated with reality shows, and repeats of old series? (some of which I enjoy because they are much higher in quality).

Yes but the UK has such a large choice of free TV there is something for everyone. When it comes to factual TV and gritty dramas the uk wins again (oh and comedy)

5) I checked four websites on this one: Our Prime Minister is the highest paid in the World, of Western democracies. The third highest of all calculable nations. More than the US President. More that the UK PM. Yet this is population wise- a small country.

Question: Are UK politicians allowed to just reward themselves in this manner without any laws to rein in excess?
      (Because of this political greed an 'independent' body was created to.....justify these increases! They are wholly dependent on Government for their jobs.......)

a) Do UK politicians have a Super (I can't quote figures without going to more bliddy research) scheme, FAR-far in excess of ordinary workers, that they can access at any time apparently, whilst working people have to wait until retirement age?

b) Are UK politicians allowed to go onto lucrative private positions-or even return to political life after retirement, and still keep their full political retirement payouts?

c) Do politicians receive payouts in the UK that make them instant millionaires? One one term politician here got a payout of just under $3 million dollars. Another young politician 'of the people' who did nearly twenty years, got just under $7 million dollars. She is 42 and never needs to work again! (Preening on TV when she got recognised for her negligible 'charity work'). She also gets generously paid for writing columns for our local rag.

(ALL papers in this State are owned by Murdoch btw This kind of
      total media ownership is supposed to be illegal.....).

d) Do your Parliamentarians there have Hyatt catered subsidized meals? Do they have an Olympic accredited (has to be certain width/length) swimming pool, and gymnasium?

All this is true. I researched it because I thought it was incorrect. It wasn't.

Enough wid de questions. I seeka de answers.

Anyone?

I will have to get back to this last one, off to work (yes we have work here too),need another coffee before i leave.
      Cal and Letsy like this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Thanks Aldo!

Whenever a post is put up with lots of questions-it means it is harder to respond to!!

The building thing:

I notice now that the UK requires double glazing on new builds-I think this is correct??
      It is a sensible logical way to conserve cool, and particularly heat in the UK winter.

The early Australian settlers took notice of indigenous Australians with their 'Humpies', where they would build on a brushwood 'verandah' to shade against the heat.
      This continued for two centuries. Building houses with an all round verandah to protect against excessive heat.

Not so now. In this era of high power costs-the 'Tuscan' style new build has become increasingly popular. It is a power guzzler! Far harder to heat and cool. There are no regulations acknowledging the increasingly hot summers in Oz,-that make it a requisite that builds must be of a style to minimize power consumption.

Government here bleats on about 'carbon foot prints' 'environmental awareness' 'increasing demand on power consumption', yet does nothing about these heat boxes.
      I have to wonder why?

It certainly guarantees a high demand for expensive power doesn't it? And after political life, there are lucrative Board positions with these companies.....

It is in the power companies interest to have a high demand for their expensive power, which conversely;-when we have power cuts (because they have spent little to nothing on infrastructure)-they whine on about how they struggle to meet demand.
      Yet if demand drops-they whine on about having to increase cost to meet the shortfall!!

'Heads we win; tails you lose' !

The inertia of the Energy 'Regulator', who in my State was a former power company executive, is such that he accepted the power company assertion when asking for power rises that their costs had risen by 43%. He did not check this assertion. It now transpires that their costs have reduced by 35%.

This 'Regulator'?-has finally been forced almost by embarrassment, to investigate power costs....as he said he would do three years ago.

(Energy 'Ombudsman'? Another former power company executive. The EO have to be forced to actually look at a consumer complaint).

Someone wrote in another place!, in praise of Australia-that it was great 'if you ignored the endemic political corruption'.
      (As a retired lawyer,-I can say that such a statement can be made as long as it does not address an individual).

As I said elsewhere,-those are the posts I take more notice of because they come from folk who love Australia. And good for them. I mean that.

It is negligent in my view, to allow power guzzling home builds, in a country that has extreme heat in summer,-and temperatures are rising.

(On a hot day you can break an egg onto the pavement, and the white would start to set. Break it onto the bonnet of your car, and you can fry that egg as if were in a pan on the stove).

Believe it or not,-the endurance of those who settle here, to go about their daily lives in blistering heat,-is something I really admire.
      Aldo and Sapphire like this.

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      My impressions of Australians before i lived there where of an earth loving folk, most are but unfortunately their "laid back" and passive approach to life means to complain would mean sticking their head above the parapet. I learned this when working as a bricky in Brisbane where we (brickies) would complain amongst ourselves about safety conditions (say) and agree that we would raise it at our weekly tool box meeting. At the point when the where the boss would ask if we had any concerns or issues I would raise my hand and speak out but when i looked around at my colleagues for support they would just turn away embarrassed.
      This is why so much (not all) is behind the UK and western europe in terms of construction standards, aussies just donät want to be seen causing a fuss.
      I have built houses in the UK and Australia and where the standards high and the specifications strict in the UK, I found the bar is set significantly lower in Aus. In comparison aussie homes are built like temporary structures. There are exceptions of course (before iäm jumped on).
      Cal and Letsy like this.

Cal

Title
      Liked
      218 times
      Rep
      Cal will become famous soon enough
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
      where the boss would ask if we had any concerns or issues I would raise my hand and speak out but when i looked around at my colleagues for support they would just turn away embarrassed.

I so agree with this statement.
      Ive found quite a few who will happily 'bitch behind the scenes' but wont dream of speaking up to try and solve the problem . Their issues then fester away, the bitching gets worse and nothing is solved or changed... They look at you like your crazy when you 'say something' or suggest they do,,lol..

Cal x
      Sapphire and Letsy like this.

Remember the road to success is always under construction...

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Not where I work, we recently had a kind of revolution where we all stood together and major change occurred as a result!

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast