Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Just Basic Curiosity

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
      Not where I work, we recently had a kind of revolution where we all stood together and major change occurred as a result!
      Most changes occur because of a pom sticking his head on the block, i heard it is referred to the "british disease" there:?. Most union meetings are lead by someone with a pom (usually from oop north) accent.
      I wonder what Australia would be like if it wasnät for us whinging poms
      Cal and Letsy like this.
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Letsy is on a distinguished road
      Hmmmmm, you raised it guys...

I'm no child of the Universe, but for the first half of my life I ended up resident in Germany, Hong Kong, India, Pakistan, USA, France. (Military first career for my family-incl; then law. I wonder why many of us always follow the parent career?).

Australia is by far the most apathetic country I've ever lived in. I noticed this more in my first two years here,-then I got used to it.
      I know this is controversial on these forums!

I have to say I'm a massive supportive of 'people power'.
      It's the worker that turns the wheel, not the boss. The old man once told me that if he lost his Squadron, everything would collapse. If the Squad lost him-it would continue to function. That's people power.

As Tillyfloss said,-you get together; you get results. But it is endemic here to leave it to someone else. I was no posh corporate lawyer; I was the low end of lawyers-salaried lawyer; community lawyer.

I saw this inertia time and time again, where promise of support never eventuated.
      In my street an elderly lady was being bullied. The 'support' I got from neighbours that this was 'disgusting, something should be done about it' was good. When I called on their support, they were all behind closed doors.
      (The most bitter irony is that her son was a police officer! He too did not help).
      When I finally got something done,-these 'neighbours' all emerged again.

And again; controversial: I agree Aldo, it tickles me when I see a strong fight, and the Union spokesman has- in two cases recently- a Scots accent!

Howards workchoices ('choices' don't yer jus love that!) finally defeated that cretin, because he pushed people too far; they started to unite..

Thatcher went too far with her Poll Tax. That undid her.

I don't care where it is. A worker is the backbone of any country and its economy. If you stand together you will make headway.

Tbh, it really swings on my bits to have that 'whinging Pom' thing levelled. I have never seen more moaning, and less action; anywhere.

....and in for a penny: the crap about 'Poms' not washing. (Thankfully I haven't heard that levelled for a while, it used to be common). Get on a crowded bus in an Australian summer-pass someone in a supermarket/ any crowded area...
      Sure;-some of them might be 'Poms',- but body odour in an Australian summer is rampant!
      No problem; it's boiling....but it's bliddy annoying when jokes are made about UK hygiene, from Australians who because of these temperatures, are quite...er, pungent during the heat.
      Aldo likes this.

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      It was a pom that started the ball rolling but the Aussies were just as keen....I think in my profession we're famous for being apathetic and getting walked all over by governments but that's not specific to this country!!

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
      It was a pom that started the ball rolling but the Aussies were just as keen....I think in my profession we're famous for being apathetic and getting walked all over by governments but that's not specific to this country!!
      I'm sure the aussies are just as keen to have a moan as the rest of us but when its time to "talk the talk" they generally don't like to be seen as a whinger or the one that rocks the boat. Yes its not exclusive to Australians but you must admit that when it comes to getting things changed for the better the poms are world leaders.
      Letsy likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Was it last year or early this year that some British MP's were found to be making spurious 'expense' claims?
      The gratifying thing is that they were hung out to dry!
      They were exposed in the media, and had to pay that money back?

When a politician is 'exposed' here, it is purely for political gain by the Opposition. One MP recently has had allegation of rorting funds whilst a Union official. The investigation body '2nd in command' fella was the live in partner of the female Unionist official, who made the allegation!
      She; the Opposition, don't give a monkey's testicles for the money taken from members; they are only using this allegation for their own ends.

Another allegation made against an MP by a staffer was supported and fed (no 'allegation' here), by a former MP wanting to return to politics-and needing preselection, -against that sitting MP.

That sitting Opposition MP sold his political soul to become Speaker for the Government. He is in my view an odious turd, but is he guilty of the allegation? Who knows?-but that is not the point. The point is to 'get him' to discredit him.

Is this unheard of in the UK? I doubt it. The point is that this is happening 'in plain sight', and nobody seems to give a damn.

A few years ago an Opposition MP delivered a Labor Government to my State...by becoming Speaker! His Party set out to get him.
      This guy was no push over.
      He said publicly that if they continued he would blow the whistle on what all MP's were doing.

The silence was deafening.

The US held an Inquiry into their invasion of Iraq. The UK: same. Whether a whitewash or not,-it was a public airing.

Howard licking US rrrrr's and joined them? Nothing. No Inquiry.

Of course it goes on everywhere! I've said elsewhere that had I been able to return to the UK, it would have been for the countryside, and the weather!! It would not have been for people!

The difference here is that we whinge, and then don't bother. Last year (on top of their generous pay/perks), the so-called 'independent' tribunal awarded Federal MP's a near 33% pay increase.

That announcement came on the same day that public service job cuts were announced.
      Grizzle, grizzle. Nothing.

....and predictably State MP's tried for the same thing on the grounds that the Feds had got that rise.
      They didn't get the same, but they got one. The same day they announced job cuts.

They do it because inertia here allows them to get away with it. I have little doubt that they actually verbalize:'they'll moan for a bit, then they'll accept it'.

And for the record? It took me thirty five years to speak about this. Thirty five years. And during that time I've had to listen to the cliched rubbish about UK food/hygiene/weather etc.

It isn't nice to hear,-and it isn't nice to listen to is it?

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Sapphire is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
      My impressions of Australians before i lived there where of an earth loving folk, most are but unfortunately their "laid back" and passive approach to life means to complain would mean sticking their head above the parapet. I learned this when working as a bricky in Brisbane where we (brickies) would complain amongst ourselves about safety conditions (say) and agree that we would raise it at our weekly tool box meeting. At the point when the where the boss would ask if we had any concerns or issues I would raise my hand and speak out but when i looked around at my colleagues for support they would just turn away embarrassed.
      This is why so much (not all) is behind the UK and western europe in terms of construction standards, aussies just donät want to be seen causing a fuss.
      I have built houses in the UK and Australia and where the standards high and the specifications strict in the UK, I found the bar is set significantly lower in Aus. In comparison aussie homes are built like temporary structures. There are exceptions of course (before iäm jumped on).
      I totaly agree, the Aussies wont speak out.They will stir the crap, and watch someone else take the can, but wont stick their necks out, and usually if someone asks them about a particular problem, someone may of stuck their neck out on,,,they will say they hadent noticed, or it doesant worry them,,,,so it makes the poor sod who has had the balls to say something, look like a complete pratt.

And I agree the houses here, are not a patch on a UK, build.We are involved in the Building Industry, and some of the builds, and building standards I have seen here,are shocking. They are very much built like tempory structures.Some of the new builds now, dont look like they will be around for many years.Maybe thats why they devalue so quickly.
      Safety standards on site are also shocking, I can not beleive some of the stuff that happens, and how the sites are not checked and should be closed down in a great deal of cases
      They go on about Workplace Standards, and OHS, but the reality is serious safety issues,and downright stupidity on site in many cases
      Aldo likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
      I totaly agree, the Aussies wont speak out.They will stir the crap, and watch someone else take the can, but wont stick their necks out, and usually if someone asks them about a particular problem, someone may of stuck their neck out on,,,they will say they hadent noticed, or it doesant worry them,,,,so it makes the poor sod who has had the balls to say something, look like a complete pratt.

And I agree the houses here, are not a patch on a UK, build.We are involved in the Building Industry, and some of the builds, and building standards I have seen here,are shocking. They are very much built like tempory structures.Some of the new builds now, dont look like they will be around for many years.Maybe thats why they devalue so quickly.
      Safety standards on site are also shocking, I can not beleive some of the stuff that happens, and how the sites are not checked and should be closed down in a great deal of cases
      They go on about Workplace Standards, and OHS, but the reality is serious safety issues,and downright stupidity on site in many cases

I stress I cannot speak for today, but a few years ago we were involved in this area, and came up not with an allegation, but with a fact Australia had by far the highest incidence of workplace accidents in the industrial developed nation world.

Why? Because the laws were/are so lax. Because those responsible for for policing workplace standards did not do their jobs.

I don't miss the fact that some here might see this as an increasing 'get Australia' view on BEA.

Two things:

1) I said nothing. I only spoke about this to my own family about a month ago!
      I've said elsewhere, and I'll repeat it here; in Australia-criticising the UK became an endemic thing, particularly by the media. It gave an endorsement to people to also ridicule. I recall belonging to a 'foodie' group, where I was told: 'in England they boil cabbage for an hour don't they'?
      That was an ostensibly intelligent human being.

It was also a ritual for many new UK migrants to gain acceptance here by ridiculing the UK-they were even on telly!
      I saw two doco's in particular that were straight out racist against the UK.

It annoyed me, because it was plain wrong. A segment very recently on the so-called 'ping pong Poms', took shots of beaches and sun=Australia, then grey, rain, industrial=UK.
      It was nasty and disengenuous. (And it was done by an avowed Republican who two years ago got a OBE......and preened). T--t!

The 'milk and honey' thing has gone. It's gone. So more and more people are saying: 'you can talk'!!
      It was inevitable, and it is sauce for goose; sauce for gander stuff.

2) On BEA there is no 'ganging up' on those who have a less than rosy view of Australia. Is it because BEA is smaller? I hope not.
      I'm sure that those who love all things Australian are damned irritated by criticism; I know the feeling. There is also an absolute democratic right to defend Oz; as there should be.

What is nice about BEA is that the 'sting' is missing. You might disagree with these views but they are accepted with a graciousness that is missing.......elsewhere.

It is something that BEA should be proud of.

And I have good news!! Yesterday we got another new TV channel!

And I have bad news: it's 100% advertising.

Aldo likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Ive had said to me on many occassions since being in Aus,'bet you are glad to be away from the UK, and all its problems,,,,Its a S;;;;;e there isant it???, " and various other remarks.These are people usually ones, who have never even travelled interstate, let alone abroad!!!
      To begin with, in the first couple of months of arriving,,,I admit, I said 'Oh yes" as we were still mesmerised by our new country
      We truely believed Aus was different, after all we had been told just that, by so many people when we were migrating, and read it so many times,in magazines and on forums, and heard it at Aussie Expos,,,every part of the migration process makes you think its pretty perfect........we were brainwashed
      Research all you like, you just keep coming up with the same answers
      But after a couple of months, we saw a different side, same problems here, same filth on the streets, same grafitti, same rancid people spitting in the streets,Feral families,Crime in general ,and some crimes which are seriously brutal,shootings on a daily basis, stabbings,arson,Areas which are total no-go areas due to crime and drugs (thank goodness we dident move into one of those suburbs,,,,after all they have such pretty sounding names,,,,and for those who dont know,,,wow,you are in trouble)

Bullying,in the workplace,seems an endemic problem in Aus.Yes I know it happens in the Uk, too, but here it really is a problem, and I speak from personal experiences of that.Its horrendous.
      I could go on!!!

Im not saying Aus is worse than the UK, just that it also has problems .Auctually NO,,,Im going to risk getting destroyed here,,,,I think some of the problems here are worse, than the UK.Seems to be alot more alcohol and mental health issues here.Stats may prove me wrong, but this is my opinion ,and I do take stats with a pinch of salt,here.
      Alot more Hooning and downright dangerous driving,with no regard for anyone
      For me personally I would rather be in the UK, warts an all.If I weigh up what I miss,about the Uk, and then look at the things I detest about Aus, my choice is the UK anyday
      But thats my opinion, some will agree, some wont.But I do believe anyone coming here, thinking they are coming to a country without problems,and a cheaper lifestyle, will have a culture shock, as we did
      Last edited by Sapphire; 18-09-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added text
      Letsy likes this.

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      It never ceases to amaze me the way the godzoners (not all) point blankly refuse to see anything bad in their country. I remember posting somewhere that whilst living in Brisbane I was rained off work more than i ever was in London. My observations where ridiculed and i was virtually accused of lying!. I still see it now, recently someone suggested that some aussies on pensions need to live in places like Bali to be able to get by on their pension payments, someone replied "What a load of tosh!" then went on to boast how well off he is implying anyone not in his position was "doolally" . I canät comment there because iäm banned (at the moment) but i so wanted to reply. I had a good friend (an aussie) who was 70 years old still having to lay bricks to get by and was saving to move to the Philippines just to he could get by on his pension.
      Letsy likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
      It never ceases to amaze me the way the godzoners (not all) point blankly refuse to see anything bad in their country. I remember posting somewhere that whilst living in Brisbane I was rained off work more than i ever was in London. My observations where ridiculed and i was virtually accused of lying!. I still see it now, recently someone suggested that some aussies on pensions need to live in places like Bali to be able to get by on their pension payments, someone replied "What a load of tosh!" then went on to boast how well off he is implying anyone not in his position was "doolally" . I canät comment there because iäm banned (at the moment) but i so wanted to reply. I had a good friend (an aussie) who was 70 years old still having to lay bricks to get by and was saving to move to the Philippines just to he could get by on his pension.

We know elderly people here who have to choose whether to eat, or get thier perscription, many rely on handouts from friends and relatives
      I see that everyday, as where we live, there are a lot of older people, and you see the friends and families, coming everyday, with meals for them.
      I would not want to be a pensioner here,I know lots of old people in the UK struggle, but at least they get free healthcare, bus passes, and seem to get more help than here
      It seems to be paying for thier healthcare here, which causes them a lot of problems

Someone else posted a copy of thier Elec or Gas Bill, they had scanned it in, and there it was in black and white,,,,$600 for 2 months,,,,,They were virtually called liars as well, and they obviously must be doing something wrong to use that much, as the godzoners only use 1c a week, (my exageration,,,,lol,,,but you know what I am saying)
      It was unreal, to see how someone can post an auctual copy of their bill, and still be called a liar

I dont know why this is happening
      Surely its better to be honest with people and say,"look its expensive, you very possibly may not get a job,Its hard to find somewhere to live, especially if you have pets". If these migrants were more aware of the costs and how things are, they would not be put off coming,,,,they would come more prepared,with maybe more money behind them, or making sure they secured a job before they arrived
      The amount who are told they can arrive with just a few thousand dollars and that will be fine. They wont even get an old wreck of a car for that money!!!! Then theres rent and bonds,which will take another goodness knows how much.Its crazy
      Why tell migrants its all rosy, and they will earn a million dollars a week, when its utter bull
      Surely if they were more prepared they would still come, but be aware of what they are walking into
      A couple I have made friends with , are flying home to the UK, as I write this.5 months in Brissy,,,,no jobs,money all gone, absolute nightmare for them both
      What a waste
      If they had known the true situation out here,before they came, it may of been very different for them
      I do not understand, why migrants are fed this constant "happy"information and how anyone who dares to mention a negative thing is "got rid " of
      Every side of the story should be there for migrants to read the good and the bad
      I wish we had,,,,I wouldent be sitting here now, still trying to get home, but it wont be long now, Im very pleased to say
      Might get to put a face to that name on the other side, one day,Aldo...lol
      Aldo likes this.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast