Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Tiggasaurus is on a distinguished road

Moving to US (around San Jose, CA) from UK- AUg 2017 advise employment options for me

Hi,

We are planning a move to bay area (husband’s office is in San Jose) from UK, Cambridge- this August, September. Husbands employer will sponsor our visa- L1 I believe. Initially, until I get an EAD, I understand I cannot work unless, I find an employer to sponsor my visa. EAD should be available by Dec 2017.
      My queries are relating to my employment. One problem is my job has to be somewhere I can commute to whilst we have to live somewhere from where my husband can commute to San Jose too … I would very much appreciate any help, tips, advice...

Brief education/work history- I complete doctorate in Immunology with heavy molecular biology component followed by a post-doctorate (3 years) University of Cambridge. 3 years ago I switched to working for a Contract Research Organisation. Last two years I have been employed as a Clinical Research Associate (CRA). My current role effectively is study manager- I solely manage the whole study in UK (including all regulatory activities, budgets and site recruitment etc) and travel to sites 4-6 days a month. However, normally CRA’s only do site monitoring and they travel at least 8 days a month (even in UK). Now US is huge compared to UK, I am of the feeling that I could not work as a CRA there- I would be working 60+ hours and travelling all week. Please correct me if anyone is from this area and knows better? Please also advise if you know anyone, any recruiters, contract research organisations I could contact for more information on this..
      So, with that much travelling being unsustainable for me (and to lesser extent not wanting to work simply as site monitor), I am thinking I should go back to working in molecular biology, immunology- as a scientist. I have only ever worked in academia as a scientist but maybe I could work in the industry in US? anyone advise me if this is a reasonable assumption? I would very much appreciate if anyone is within this area, knows anyone within this area who may be willing to answer a few questions?
      Thank you for reading this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      David is on a distinguished road
      Have you tried talking to a career consultant to help you figure out the best way to market yourself for the US job market? You want to make sure your American resume illustrates your qualifications and show you in the best possible light in order to get employers interested in your skills. Job Services Online at www.jobservicesonline.com has great resources for you, if you need it.