Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ckwr is on a distinguished road

Question Returning to UK having become Australian, made children Australian and having a grand

I have some news but it's brief and garbled. My sister emigrated to Australia about 14 years ago with her then teenage daughters. She was born in Australia in 1956 so claimed Australian citizenship and the same for her children. They have lived, so far as I can tell, as they have seldom communicated, a bumpy life of poverty similar to, if not worse than the bumpy life of poverty they had in the UK. Anyhow, there must have been some fun some place as there is a grandchild. So I think, somehow, they have arrived at a UK airport and possibly thought they were like "returning residents and EU" folk but they will have been directed to Commonwealth reception as Australian passport holders. They they would have been asked a very simple question "Purpose of visit"? Now if you say "visiting my mom, brother, uncle for a month or so and then back off to Oz" chances are the nice man stamps your Passport with a neat month or three month entry as a tourist. If, probably like my sister you "gasp we are coming home Australia's f'ing ****e and and and, chances are the nice man will ask " are you travelling together"? "Can you follow this gentleman please"? I do not know with any certainty if what I have explained has befallen my sister or not. I do not even know if a "right to return" to being British is afforded a person born in Australia who has taken Australian citizenship. I don't even know what the status of her children might be but I am certain that the grandchild is Australian by birth to a naturalized Australian. Anyhow, if there are any out their who have experience of such events or similar or could give some guidance I would be much obliged.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      MoulinRouge is on a distinguished road
      I'm so sorry to hear of your problem and sorry that nobody responded. I don't think there are many members left on this site ...or if there are, they don't visit very often.
      I hope all is okay and your sister and her children are sorted now.