Thread: Survey reveals British Expats staying away from the UK

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      118 times
      Rep
      cerberus1 is on a distinguished road

Survey reveals British Expats staying away from the UK

According to a survey by Lloyds TSB International, which was released yesterday, the vast majority of British expatriates have no plans to return back to Blighty because of the UK's continuing economic problems.

The Lloyds TSB International Expat Survey said 65% of those it had polled in January (The survey polled 867 British expats online), felt their financial/economic prospects were better in their current country of residence abroad - with 67% stating categorically that they have no plans to return to the UK. Only14% who thought their prospects would improve in Britain.

Lloyds TSB's International managing director Jakob Pfaudler, commented "Much has been made of 'austerity Britain' in the press and elsewhere, and it seems to be contributing to expats' decisions to settle elsewhere for good,"

As recently as 2010, media outlets were running stories that expat Britons affected by a weak pound were planning a return to British shores, however, now that ‘austerity Britain’ has become a reality, Brit abroad will do all they can to stay abroad!

According to a recent report in the Telegraph, Brits abroad know that despite facing potential economic hardship because of inflation and weakened economies globally, things are much better overseas.

One expat living in Moscow, Russia, said if fellow expatriates living locally had not been able to extend contracts in Russia, they were looking to move anywhere else but back to the UK. “If they haven’t been able to extend their contracts, they’ve tried to be moved towards Asia rather than back to Western Europe. The recent economic crisis has affected all countries but it’s very much perceived that the troubles back home are far worse than they are here, with lower job-security, salary freezes and increased taxes being the main things putting people off.”

So, if you were wondering whether the time was right for you to head overseas, it seems as though nowhere is as bad as Britain: and this may be enough of an incentive to push the increasing numbers of enquirers we’re witnessing daily to commit to their plans of relocation.
      Cal likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      yummybrummy is on a distinguished road
      Rob, I for one shall NEVER be returning to Blighty

Hoff to Oz
      The uk does have alot to offer, but it is a long way behind Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      Unless of course you are talking about character :dull:
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Hoff to Oz
      Great history, culture, the great Royal family, amazing countryside................. crap weather.

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by Broken Briton View Post
      The uk does have alot to offer, but it is a long way behind Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
      A matter of opinion I'd say.
      Different strokes for different folks.
      Aldo likes this.

chris955
      Absolutely right. The weather is very low on my list of priorities that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't put it a long way behind any of those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
      A matter of opinion I'd say.
      Different strokes for different folks.

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
      Absolutely right. The weather is very low on my list of priorities that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't put it a long way behind any of those countries.
      I wouldn't put it behind any of those countries in any way at all. I hear plenty of people complaining about all those other countries that were mentioned, in other forums, so nowhere is perfect.
      Realistically, if people don't like where they are living there's always an opportunity to move elsewhere. All they really need is the motivation.

Hoff to Oz
      We are all alowed an opinion, the experts say the uk is way behind Australia for instance, some 23 places in a recent poll on quality of life, job prospects, standard of living etc, the uk still has alot to offer, just not nowhere near as much for the majority as Australia................ so the experts say.

chris955
      These pointless surveys that tell us one country is better than the next are ridiculous and as I have shown elsewhere they all come to different conclusions. No western country is significantly better than another to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
      I wouldn't put it behind any of those countries in any way at all. I hear plenty of people complaining about all those other countries that were mentioned, in other forums, so nowhere is perfect.
      Realistically, if people don't like where they are living there's always an opportunity to move elsewhere. All they really need is the motivation.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast