Thread: Will it be ok?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      creakybones is on a distinguished road

Will it be ok?

Hi all

Feeling really low today and just needed someone to chat to who will understand how I'm feeling.
      I've joined several forums and on the whole people I have spoken to seem really nice and helpful. However, several times in the last few days I have been into chat rooms and either been abused or completely ignored. It has really made me wonder if moving is the best thing to do (even though I really wanted to move to Perth). Not sure I will fit in over there now, make friends etc. I know it is probably stupid but I don't want to move and spend the rest of my life friendless and staring at 4 walls so to speak. I know the best way to meet people is to just get out there and get on with it, and thats fine I don't expect it to be easy at first (or later lol). Has anyone else felt like this?

Maria
      Last edited by creakybones; 07-06-2008 at 07:59 AM.
      Last night I dreamt I ate a 10lb marshmallow - when I woke up my pillow was gone!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Ali

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Ali is on a distinguished road
      I'm sorry you feel sad, I think that's the hardest thing, I know I worried about it too before I moved, especially as I wouldn't be doing the school run and therefore meeting other mums, and those I did meet for my eldest had known each other years and it felt really clique (think that's how you spell it).

We decided that we'd take up any invitations to meet people and we've developed a couple of close friendships. We weren't social animals in the UK and got by with a few close friends, and I think that's how it'll be here in Oz too. We live in a great street, where everyone is really friendly but not in your face, they have a street party at xmas which was great and everyone was so nice, you know you can call on them in a crisis.

The chat rooms can sometimes be quite chaotic, however, last night on here it was only bottle top and myself ... keep trying them. I don't think you'll be billy no mates

Luv Ali
      The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove they need you in theirs

Cal

Title
      Liked
      218 times
      Rep
      Cal will become famous soon enough
      hiys sorry you got that response in the chat rooms ,i would just ignore it ,the majority of people are really nice when ive been in them .Keep smiling and remember its normal to have a wobble every now and again ,i certainly did ,
      Cal x

Remember the road to success is always under construction...

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      hiya

thanks for the replies. I felt really bad after posting it because I don't usually let people get me down or post negative type comments. Had a good chat to my mum this morning and she pointed out that this was my dream and i've never been one to not chase them. Gonna miss her wisdom so much. She of course is right-I don't need approval from people like that and I certainly don't need negative people to bring me down.
      I am going to take hold of my new life (assuming I get visa) with both hands and have a blast living it.

Thanks again for your support

Maria
      Last night I dreamt I ate a 10lb marshmallow - when I woke up my pillow was gone!

Ali

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Ali is on a distinguished road
      Real emotions are far from negative - I think it's something all of us have worried about before setting off on our adventure. It takes a while to recreate the friendships you have - after all some of them will have been a life time in the making. Remember, that those who are important will keep in touch - you're not losing friends .... just making new ones.

Hugs
      Ali x
      The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove they need you in theirs

Title
      Happy in Onkaparinga Hill
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Tyke is on a distinguished road
      I would not worry about it - especially many things said in the chat rooms and forums.
      There are rude and ignorant people everywhere.

There are also a lot of lovely people as well.
      Many people use the forums during their move here but are then don't need to use them as often once here.
      You will find those lovely people I'm sure.
      Initially as Ali said take every BBQ invite and you will meet up with the "right" folk eventually.
      We had a night on the town with some lovely friends last night,some have never used forums,some used and don't post now and some post occasionally.We were all Poms but it wasn't as though it was through a selective choice - just that we all meet up now and again for a good night or day out.

You'll be fine,worrying is part of the migration process I can assure you.
      Quality furnished ,short term rentals.2 beautiful houses,in Woodcroft and Seaford. "Home from Home"
      www.auseelife.com.au

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Diane is on a distinguished road
      Hi Maria
      Chin up, I am sure you will meet some lovely people, just keep an open mind, accept any and all invitations, and keep an eye out for any social get togethers near you that you can go along to. I even ended up playing basketball here when we first arrived, having never played before, and made some great friends that way (and some very forgiving ones I have to say!!)
      Don't forget, your Mum will only be at the end of a phone line so even though you won't be able to pop round, you can still ring her up for a chat - she sounds like a very wise woman!
      It is a huge step, and you wouldn't be human if you didn't have a few misgivings beforehand, and it is completely normal to have them when you arrive too! Just keep your eyes focussed on your goal, and at least then you won't spend the rest of your life asking yourself "what if....?"
      Diane
      PS Feel free to vent on here anytime you need a virtual shoulder to cry on too, we've all been through the same situations, and don't mind at all!
      Home2Home Settlements - professional and friendly relocation advice and assistance for new migrants: "You won't feel like a fish out of water!"

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks To Everyone For Their Kind Works And Support - I Really Appreciate It!