Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Thread: British Expats

Sputnick

British Expats

Just why do brits abroad seem to think that EVERY country they visit has to be a miniature version of the " Mother" country? Paella and chips,Squid and peas,and as long as the local beer is Watney's....what the hell !!
      I'm so glad that as soon as I hit 16 I was in the Brit military and began to REALLY travel, not just for holidays, to other lands, where I LIVED among the people...learning their language, their customs, and generally trying my best to be as unobtrusive as possible.
      I'm in Illinois USA right now, but my wife and myself plan to move to Nerja real soon. We are lookin' forward to some Sun Sea and Sangria and all that a Spanish lifestyle has to offer, and not to be surrounded by whinging ex pats of ANY nationality, to whom I offer the following advice....if you don't like where you are...no-one made you move there, and no-one is making you stay either !!! Furthermore, if I still lived in the UK, I'm not so sure I'd want people from other lands to know exactly where I came from ( this is based on the news I have seen from the old country in the last 3 years, and the tales related to me by family and friends alike !!!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      purple
      Hi Sputnick and welcome to Britsabroad

That was quite a rant you got going there ;)
      I'm not sure that it's the case with the majority of us though. I know plenty of Brits over here locally and several from other States, and I can't say that any of them have the attitude you're complaining about. Last time I checked paella was a Spanish dish, not a British one.

I'm not quite sure what the comment "if I still lived in the UK, I'm not so sure I'd want people from other lands to know exactly where I came from" means either... surely if you lived in the UK everyone would know you were British anyway?

Sun, sea and sangria? Hmm sounds extremely like a Brit abroad to me. ;)
      Aldo likes this.

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post

Sun, sea and sangria? Hmm sounds extremely like a Brit abroad to me. ;)
      Purps.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Its not all like that!

purple
      LoL
      ok then Tim, I agree it's certainly not what I do, so
      how about this...
      sounds a lot like a Brit on holiday in the Med.. is that better? ;)

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Nah your probably right the first time.. Does TACD classify? Tenerrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffff ffffyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

purple
      Somehow I don't see TACD being the type to have the knotted hanky on his head, and stumbling drunk through the streets at 2am after 12 pints of lager and 2 bottles of cheapo wine, shouting at the locals .. "oi hozay, where's the chinese takeaway mate?" do you? ;)

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
      Somehow I don't see TACD being the type to have the knotted hanky on his head, and stumbling drunk through the streets at 2am after 12 pints of lager and 2 bottles of cheapo wine, shouting at the locals .. "oi hozay, where's the chinese takeaway mate?" do you? ;)
      Err yes I do.. Thats what I think Tonys like.. bugga

Picture TACD? Please with the hanky?

purple
      You'll be on his hit list now, Tim.. you better hope he doesn't make it to OZ!

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      I'm always on his hit list. Where eva I may roam. Eh Tony?:goofy:

purple
      The silence says it all.. it could be that he's planning a revenge attack on you. ;)

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast