Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road

Culinary Delights

I have travelled a fair bit with work and for pleasure. I have come across some weird and exotic food.

Last year, whilst in China, we were invited to a meal in some sort of fancy restuarant. There was some strange looking items on the table, since my Chinese was next to none and the hosts English was about the same. I decided not to ask what the culinary delights were and to not offend ate what was offered.

This included:- Some sort of rodent with small legs, A very small bird thing, seaweed and a few other things floating around in a soupy substance.

It was actually quite nice!

Whats the stangest thing anyone else has eaten?

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Liz H
      [quote=Tim;3110]I have travelled a fair bit with work and for pleasure. I have come across some weird and exotic food.

Last year, whilst in China, we were invited to a meal in some sort of fancy restuarant. There was some strange looking items on the table, since my Chinese was next to none and the hosts English was about the same. I decided not to ask what the culinary delights were and to not offend ate what was offered.

This included:- Some sort of rodent with small legs, A very small bird thing, seaweed and a few other things floating around in a soupy substance.

It was actually quite nice!

Whats the stangest thing anyone else has eaten?[/quote

Chocolate covered ants!!!

Liz H
      And Birds' nest soup!

Doz
      Well im not sure really. We had this wierd looking thing wrapped up in a leaf the other night.The only way i can describe it when unwrapped was like raw fish paste with lumps and bumps in it. Had one bite and nearly threw up.....it was bad, whatever it was, it was very very bad!

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
      And Birds' nest soup!
      Does it actually taste of anything or is it more for the libido?

Andy Chapman
      Can't really say iv'e eaten anything unusual, but me being me will try anything & everything, i'm one of those people that will try anything once, it doesn't matter what it is and if i like it i would gladly eat again. The things i have eaten in the past are Shark, Crocodile & Octopus, all were nice but not great.
      One thing iv'e always wanted to try is Snake, i love eels and just wondered whether they taste similar.

Liz H

Wink Strange foods

Many years ago, while visiting Greece, I stayed at an hotel in Vouliagmeni, when the staff went on strike, and so the management took over the food service. All meals then became buffet style. Frankly, they were the best meals I had ever had at an hotel. I particularly enjoyed the squid and octopus, which were barbecued. I hoped that the strike would continue for a long time, but of course it didn't., but it was great while it lasted!!!
      Last edited by Liz H; 03-10-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Andy Chapman

Beetle

Did you know that Beetles taste like apples, wasps
      like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon. Anyone
      ever tasted them.

Doz
      Ive seen fried locusts for sale here by lots of the street vendors.
      I would imagine they dont taste to bad but i dont know if i could bring myself to try one.