Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Thread: Dengue fever

Doz

Question Dengue fever

Well its been a scarey few days here.
      Lee came down with this sudden flu like illness, it got that bad i made him go to hospital. Good job as well,turned out he has dengue fever and spent three days in hospital on a drip.
      He is home now but suffering quite badly. Dengue fever is also known as breakbone disease because you are in that much pain you feel like all your bones are broken. Lee is going through that stage now. Its awful to see and nothing can be done other than lots of fluid and pain killers.
      The doctor told me to look out for a rash appearing and to rush him in to emergency if this was the case.
      He said there can be complications and 3 out of 100 die from it
      Anyway, it is caused by being bitten by a mosquito who has already bitten someone infected with Dengue. They live in cities, bight in the daytime and are fond of entering dwellings.
      There is no cure and the only preventitive is repellent and covering up head to toe.
      It seems to be getting more common around the world, so guys.......
      get some deet on if you are in an area where there are mosquitos.

Id hate anyone else to go through this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Deet? Is that the trade name please?

Sorry about Lee's illness.

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Hi Doz, That def. doesn't sound too pleasant. Here in Perth we do get cases of Ross River virus every so often. Pretty nasty buy no way as bad as Dengue fever.

Tim

Liz H
      Quote Originally Posted by Doz View Post
      Well its been a scarey few days here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doz View Post
      Lee came down with this sudden flu like illness, it got that bad i made him go to hospital. Good job as well,turned out he has dengue fever and spent three days in hospital on a drip.
      He is home now but suffering quite badly. Dengue fever is also known as breakbone disease because you are in that much pain you feel like all your bones are broken. Lee is going through that stage now. Its awful to see and nothing can be done other than lots of fluid and pain killers.
      The doctor told me to look out for a rash appearing and to rush him in to emergency if this was the case.
      He said there can be complications and 3 out of 100 die from it
      Anyway, it is caused by being bitten by a mosquito who has already bitten someone infected with Dengue. They live in cities, bight in the daytime and are fond of entering dwellings.
      There is no cure and the only preventitive is repellent and covering up head to toe.
      It seems to be getting more common around the world, so guys.......
      get some deet on if you are in an area where there are mosquitos.

Id hate anyone else to go through this.
      So sorry to hear about your husband's illness. You must have been scared out of your wits. Hope he will soon get well. My very best wishes for a speedy recovery
      Liz

Liz H

Deet

[quote=thearmchairdetective;4270]Deet? Is that the trade name please?

Hi Armchairdetective;
      Deet is a component of insect repellents [NN diethyl-meta - toluamide ], and was used by the U.S. Army in Vietnam and S.E. Asia . It protects against tick and insect bites. There is some discussion on its safety. It can be applied to skin or outer clothing. The recommended level of DEET in a repellent is between 10% - 30%. Apparently the 30% level will protect for approx. 6 hrs.. Caution is advised, and Health Canada has banned products with more than 30% DEETfor adults as well as sunscreen containing DEET.
      It is also stated that repellents containing DEET should be used only where the risk of getting a serious illness, like dengue fever and West Nile fever is a real possibility. There are other repellents which will deal with lesser threats .
      It is a solvent and can dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.
      Apparently, the most serious concerns are its effect on the central nervous system.
      Sorry , I guess this is the long version, when all you wanted to know was if it was a trade name and the short answer would have been 'No'.. I do tend to ramble on.
      Liz

traveller
      Hi Doz,

Really sorry to hear Lee's so unwell. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Doz
      Thanks everyone for your well wishes.
      Had another rocky spell and he had to go back into hospital on a drip again.
      He is home now but suffering with the pains. They also call it 'break bone' because your joints hurt so badly they feel like they are broken. He has pain killers but they dont seem to help much.

Deet is the active ingredient in insect repellent. The more deet it contains the the better the product

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by thearmchairdetective View Post
      Deet? Is that the trade name please?
      Hi Armchairdetective;
      Sorry , I guess this is the long version, when all you wanted to know was if it was a trade name and the short answer would have been 'No'.. I do tend to ramble on.
      Liz
      Thanks for that, and no, I don't think you ramble on at all

LUNN-J
      Hi Doz

Sorry to hear things are not to good for you at the moment hope your hubby makkes a speedy recovery.

Take care
      Jan

Doz
      Thanks for the well wishes.
      Lee is feeling a little better today thank goodness.
      Its been quite a worrying week. The hospital said he will need to rest now and will feel exhausted for a couple of weeks yet.

Its nice to have him more back to normal though, i really thought i might lose him at one point