Thread: Expats happier in Australia, New Zealand and Canada

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road

Expats happier in Australia, New Zealand and Canada

Australia has replaced New Zealand, its southern hemisphere neighbour, as the favourite destination of expatriates, a new survey shows.

New Zealand drops to third place, while Canada, another British commonwealth country, remains in the second spot.

France, the US, Portugal, Spain, South Africa and Singapore follow in order

Some 78% of those surveyed in Australia for NatWest International Personal Banking’s third annual Quality of Life Index cited the better environment and quality of life for their children as their reasons for being there, NatWest IPB said.

Expats in Australia are also more than twice as likely to own a property, the study revealed: 69% of those surveyed in Australia said they did, compared with a global average of only 31%.

More than four out of five expatriates living in Oz (83%) said the weather was one of the main reasons they were there, while nine out of 10 said the Australian lifestyle kept them Down Under.

‘Financial confidence’

In an analysis of the survey’s findings, NatWest IPB noted that the factor which “lifted Australia to the top of the rankings this year was ‘financial confidence’”– a reflection of the fact that the Australian economy has fared relatively better than those of many other popular expatriate destinations. The United Arab Emirates, for example, fell four places this year, to tenth, from sixth place last year.

British expats represent 15.3% of the overseas born expatriates in Australia, with the total number estimated at 1.4 million, according to Australian government statistics. Some 30,590 Britons emigrated to Australia in 2008/2009, the figures show, representing 17.9% of total migration into the country. Australia’s total population is around 21.64 million, a little more than a third of Britain’s 62 million.

The survey was conducted for NatWest IPB by the Centre for Future Studies think tank between October and December of last year. A separate survey looked at the attitudes among British expat retirees. The bank did not say how many people in total were interviewed.
      Lifestyle indicators assessed

The study rated expats’ lives based on their assessments of various ‘lifestyle indicators’ such as the availability and quality of consumer goods, entertainment, food, law enforcement, public transport, housing and other elements of their daily lives.
      Other findings:

• More than two thirds of expats living in Australia said their health had improved while living there

• The cost of living in Australia is a third lower than it is in the UK

• Perth is one of the most popular areas of Australia for expatriates, with around 12.5% of its population of around 1.5 million comprised of British expatriates

• Brisbane, however, has recently overtaken Perth as the most popular migration destination in Australia and has the fastest-growing population of all Australian cities.
      yummybrummy likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Thehatandswag
      Interesting, I can also see why Brissy is popular Ktee it being not an isolated state and all

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      That is true and what I do like about the East Coast is everything is quite close, plus all the major sports events are usually over the East.
      Thehatandswag likes this.

Cal

Title
      Liked
      218 times
      Rep
      Cal will become famous soon enough
      LOL,, bet i know someone who would argue about the cost of living being cheaper here,lol

Cal x

Remember the road to success is always under construction...

Thehatandswag
      who would that be then Cal?

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Could that be someone from PIO by any chance ;)

Thehatandswag
      I have been a long time viewer of PIO but never graced it with my presence, some good characters around thats for sure , I must give this some serious consideration. The bored peeps soon run off I see, they are more than likely on here for a few weeks.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      You ought to join us on there, we are a friendly bunch, you do get some that think they are always right, but hey that's life.
      Cal likes this.

Thehatandswag
      I might have to join as you say Ktee. I always find that its best to leave it a few years before giving some good information

Hence the would be migrant would benefit vastly I would find. I feel now I am qualified to with part of this knowledge.

Meet positive with positive is my motto, it stands me in good stead!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      How long have you been in Australia?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast