Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road

Global Guy Fawkes Night

We did our first one last year and by special request from our Canadian neighbor's its on again.
      Huge bonfire (which the local rival kids dont come and burn down 2 nights before) fireworks along with the traditional treacle toffee, parkin and what ever else my beloved comes up with. One neighbor drove past last year just as the guys legs caught light and thought there was some English pagan ritual going on .

So where else in the world are guys burning this year
      Andy + Team Canada
      Last edited by Andy; 08-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Doz
      That sounds like it was fun Sheena.

I dont suppose anything will be happening here. Not even sure much goes off at Christmas.

I do know that Chinese New Year is celebrated in a massive way here, apparently celebrations go on for 15 days!!!

tuckerfa
      Hi gang,

I'm 99% certain that they buying and setting off of fireworks is illegal in QLD. I'm sure you can only go to regulated displays. Risk of fire in the bush land is one pretty good reason. Look at the fire on the Gold Coast just the other day. They say that was due to some idiots set some fires and look what happen.
      I'll check it out in work tomorrow.

Frank

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Itsnot such a big deal here in WA. Infact non existent. There's nothing - not even a sparkler being chucked around. I think Halloween is still fairly big tho.

traveller
      We'll be celebrating Guy Fawkes night here in the USA.

We'll be down the Pelican Inn, a 16th Century style English pub on the Californian Pacific Coast! We missed Guy Fawkes night last year 'cos we'd only been here a month and didn't know they did it.

Apparently they get a permit for a bonfire on Muir Beach and they have also been known to get a permit for fireworks although this year is looking a bit dodgy given the number of wildfires and the serious lack of rain. It's up to the Park Rangers.:policeman: I have been promised sparklers though!

But it's our local, there's beer and food and lots of people out to have a good night so we're looking forward to it.

Doz
      Sounds like there will be no fireworks for any of us then.

Oh well, just think of the money we will save. Lol!

Hope
      I attended a local display on Saturday night.. lasted about half an hour and it was great! A calm, clear but very chilly night.. but fun was had by
      all! I did take a couple of pics..hmm.. wonder if i could post them here? I'll give it a go..

Hope

Wink

here goes..
      Attached Images Attached Images    

traveller
      Good pictures Hope!
      We're definitely getting a bonfire on the beach and I think there's going to be several 'guys' for burning but doubtful on the fireworks 'cos of the recent wildfires, although today we are getting some torrential rain. It's weird though 'cos it's still T-shirt weather!!

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
      here goes..

Hi Hope

Great photos

Andy + T C :yes:

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast