• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road

Paintbrush If you had the choice...

No, I am thinking about buying some form of ransportable home here in Oz, mainly because of the weather and the ability to be able to move quite freely. I have narrowed it down to either a camper trailer, caravan or a motorhome (not likely!). What would you go for. They all have their pros and cons.

The camper trailer would allow this..

But the Caravan this for the missus...

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Hmmmm difficult one Tim. My choice would be the Caravan at least you can have a good nights sleep in it and feel relatively safe and some even can have bikes put on the back so you also have the means to get about.

Could you put a boat in it or on the roof maybe ? is that allowed in Oz.

traveller
      If you want to do some serious travelling I'm guessing a caravan would be better. I have to admit in my 'old' age I'm getting soft! Do the Ozzies hate caravaners as much as the Brits do?!!:twitcy:

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      I Like the idea of a caravan for the comfort...... but you cannae take all the essential toys!

Andy Chapman
      And what does the wife say Tim

Florida Redhead
      I'd go for the caravan.
      We have rented an RV a couple of times here, very nice, all the mod cons but they are gas-guzzlers of course.
      There are many campgrounds in the US where we could hook up to mains power and water.

traveller
      Quote Originally Posted by Florida Redhead View Post
      I'd go for the caravan.
      We have rented an RV a couple of times here, very nice, all the mod cons but they are gas-guzzlers of course.
      There are many campgrounds in the US where we could hook up to mains power and water.
      I like it when the RVs come up this way and assume Highway 1 is like a main road all the way up! Causes chaos on the mountain!

RVs are perfect for the open road though but we're still going to do our roadtrips on the motorbikes - you can't beat them for taking in the awesome scenery!

Doz
      Ive always wanted a motorhome to potter round Europe in

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      The campsite in Oz are pretty good. You usually have your own tap and power. You can get site with ensuites and tv points too. The better half wants the caravan (with the toilet - off course) so if anything I suppoose that would be that. I'm keen to try offroad camping here in Oz - there's enough space.

I did have a toyota HiAce van before buy it is small and alot of hastle if you want to move or go out for the day.

T

Florida Redhead
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
      The campsite in Oz are pretty good. You usually have your own tap and power. You can get site with ensuites and tv points too. The better half wants the caravan (with the toilet - off course)
      Yes they have water and power on board here, too.
      But if you're on a long trek it's good to hook up to the mains, especially the sewer!
      When I was doing damage inspections for FEMA in Cocoa FL, one guy I went to see had a hobby - he would buy used camper vans, do them up and re-sell.
      I asked him to look out for one for me.
      It's the perfect solution when I get to a disaster zone and there's nowhere to stay. Hotels are usually full of evacuees, rescue workers and power linesmen. They usually put us on Government Property (such as Military Bases) but there's no privacy.
      So within a week he called me. He had tested a 1990 Chevy van in great condition, the asking price was $1,500 cash. Done!
      Dave worked on it, new paint job, new carpet, it already had a fridge, TV, blinds, curtains, clothes cupboard, 4 captain's chairs and a slide-down bed in the back.
      Last year when I used it for Hurricanes Ike and Gustav, I added a porta-potti for emergencies. It helped me survive and has more than paid for itself. My dog loves it.....he has his own bed behind the driver.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast