Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Job seakers UK

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road

Job seakers UK

Since i've been back in the UK i have been amazed at the construction going on in and around London. So if you are stuck in doors whinging about being unemployed get your scrawny ar53 down (or up) here.
      A job seeking tip from me is get where the action is, you wont find work at the sea side! (or we'd all be living there). People are a funny lot, they'll travel all over the world looking for work in the remotest places but when in blighty a measly 100 miles is too much
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      117 times
      Rep
      RobWilliams is on a distinguished road
      Is the construction directly/indirectly related to the Olympics do you think it will taper off after the Olympics? I see unemployment is still rising (2.67 million) - 8.4%, the highest for 16 years and a new record for the number of jobless young people (age 16-24). - to 1.04m, taking the unemployment rate to 22.2% for that age group. Admittedly, the rising unemployment is said to be slowing.

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      Large construction projects are everywhere, lots of regeneration going on in London. The Olympics are certainly one catalyst but also I can see clusters around the new cross rail network (Boris is pledging cross rail 2&3) and areas with good commuting transport links. Rural areas too - I done a job in Biggin Hill recently and loads of high end properties being built and on the fringes of London there seems to a lot of apartment type buildings replacing tired old flats.

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Too many people want work in their backyard....lazy bleeders.

Title
      Liked
      372 times
      Rep
      ophidian is on a distinguished road
      Aldo, there are no jobs in the UK, I read it on the Internet so it must be true. I would be interested to know what the true figure is here, I don't think too many believe the official figure. Unfortunately like the UK youth unemployment is crazy, around 20% which is unacceptable.
      Sapphire likes this.

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      There is undoubtedly a squeeze on here, i've noticed (as a subcontractor) that prices are tight and coupled with congestion fees and other transport costs it can be easy to drop a b0llock in pricing work. Main contractors don't like giving out daywork now but if start making anything more than a day rate (on a price) they get the hump. The want their cake and eat it.
      Saying that though work down here in London and the SE is plentiful.
      The good thing is though you can live on a shoe string here. Apart from utilities (that are a burden everywhere ) there are bargains all over the place. My local pub has a happy hour from 11am to 7pm with stella only 2.60 a pint!. You can get a wardrobe full of clobber for 50 quid in places like sports direct or primark. I was in in Sports Direct yesterday and they had good "no fear" jackets for 15 quid!

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      So when I come back to England to see you you'll be the one up the corner in the pub in your 'bargain' sports gear supping your stella with your work boots on then? (on your lunch break) Maybe we could have dinner.....2 for a tenner still on?
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      I'll get my shell suit specially dry cleaned for ya doll
      Sapphire likes this.

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Sapphire is on a distinguished road
      Thats great news for Tradies returning home. Tradies we know in the UK, are all saying they have lots of work on, and we will be ok when we get back
      Hubby has been offered tons of work already there, so its looking good
      Ktee and ophidian like this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      894 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      It must be different up North though as I know a brickie up there has been struggling to get work for the last few years, maybe he needs to move down Sarf

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast