Thread: Moving abroad

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road

Moving abroad

if you could move anywhere and there were no restrictions on getting a visa where would you live?
      Personally I would probably stay in Oz, love it here, although I would like to spend a couple of years in America then come back.
      Mind Less likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Thehatandswag
      Australia for me through and through! with maybe a shack in NZ
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      It gets me the number of people who arrived in Australia and say it's not for them. There are so many different areas to Australia and to label the full country based on one particular suburb is ridiculous, but I see it more and more. When we first arrived, I agree, it was nothing like I imagined in fact it was a lot like the UK, don't get me wrong I love Melbourne, but I expected baron deserts, no trees, red sand and red hot sun, instead I was met with rain, rain and more rain. I still loved it and thought it was still a better life here than the UK. However, we started having holidays in camper vans and driving around Oz and that's where I found some beautiful areas that I loved and knew instantly that I wanted to be there. For me Alice and Darwin are like the Oz I imagined Melbourne to be like, Cairns is like a tropical paradise, Brisbane is like the med and I cannot comment on Perth as I have never been. I suppose what I am trying to say is that for one country it is so vast and so different and people should have a look around the whole thing before judging.

Thehatandswag
      Perth initally looks beautiful, a small city and pretty clean. I find the housing depressing, look down from the plane thats all you are confronted with. No thats not for me at all.

I am a bush man through and through, water and bush go well together, got to have nature, otherwise stay back in your 2 up and 2 down with sainsburys or tescos are whatever they have there these days.

Get in touch with yourselves,

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      For me it would be key west, maybe cuba or a caribean island. All the ingredience of paradise for me but with a reasonable flight time to the UK
      Mind Less likes this.

Title
      Horsey type
      Liked
      89 times
      Rep
      Mind Less is on a distinguished road
      For me it would be France....assuming a few prerequisites:

1. I could speak French like a local
      2. So could my wife and kids
      3. We had some means of an income

I know I've only ever been there on holiday, but it feels increasingly like home. Last year we flew direct from Aus to France and it was so strange (but also lovely) to feel at home there. The countryside is absolutely gorgeous, the food and wine are excellent and cheap too, the French people I've met have been very welcoming and friendly (obviously with some exceptions but nowhere's perfect), I love the towns and villages and the French way of life. I'm sure after a while there'd be things that would wind me up, like the tendency to strike at the drop of a hat, or the whole siesta thing, but you know, let me dream....

Title
      Horsey type
      Liked
      89 times
      Rep
      Mind Less is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      It gets me the number of people who arrived in Australia and say it's not for them. There are so many different areas to Australia and to label the full country based on one particular suburb is ridiculous, but I see it more and more. When we first arrived, I agree, it was nothing like I imagined in fact it was a lot like the UK, don't get me wrong I love Melbourne, but I expected baron deserts, no trees, red sand and red hot sun, instead I was met with rain, rain and more rain. I still loved it and thought it was still a better life here than the UK. However, we started having holidays in camper vans and driving around Oz and that's where I found some beautiful areas that I loved and knew instantly that I wanted to be there. For me Alice and Darwin are like the Oz I imagined Melbourne to be like, Cairns is like a tropical paradise, Brisbane is like the med and I cannot comment on Perth as I have never been. I suppose what I am trying to say is that for one country it is so vast and so different and people should have a look around the whole thing before judging.
      I think the problem is though that having spent all that time energy and stress to get here and find out something is not quite right is just too much for some people.
      Understandably they seek the familiarity of home rather than thinking of shipping out and moving interstate.
      For me, I knew what Geelong was like, having lived in Melbourne before and having relos (in laws) in Geelong that we've visited countless times:dull:, stayed with countless times on previous holidays:dull:. So I knew roughly what we were getting into. Also I worked in Cairns (which was where I met the wife) years ago , so I had an idea about the diversity of life in Oz. We have also moved to a different suburb in Geelong recently. But if it doesn't work out in Geelong, I doubt I could be arsed trying out somewhere else in Oz: it's just too much bloody upheaval for me and my family; we would head back to UK, where at least we know what to expect