Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Thread: That other British expat forum.. grrrrr!

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road

That other British expat forum.. grrrrr!

I felt so discriminated against, for no reason they banned me so I couldn't respond to other friendly British expats, I rejoined after re-registering. And so it happened again, and again, and again.

Shocking, not being funny and I could be wrong, but I felt like it's run by Scots that discriminate as some do, against the English and that they have their own clique. It was a Scot that was being nasty to me (one of the moderators). Regardless it's definitely a clique.

I noticed on going back intermittently to browse and read at least, that it wasn't just happening to me. Maybe it's time to report their cyberbullying to the internet police!!!! British expats have the right to be on a British expat forum too, not just the discriminating moderators that run it.

This forum is far nicer and better and all I can say is.. thank goodness for this one. Anyone else encountered the same issues, be interesting to know? I get the impression that if you have an opinion and it's not what they want to hear, they just ban you, and discreetly so at that, you try to log on and see a nasty message saying you're banned and can return when? Never. How rude and not to mention, very unfriendly to fellow Brits. Personally speaking, I think someone(s) who ever are the guilty party, needs a good hard slap, and those controlling that forum should not be allowed to do so. Rant over, needed to get it off my chest with fellow 'more supportive Brits'
      Last edited by blackcomb; 25-11-2013 at 05:02 AM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      896 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Sorry to hear that. I see you are in Ontario. I lived in Burlington many many moons ago.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Nice. Where do you live now? And not to worry, I'd rather be on this forum than on one that has some nasty negative types anyway.

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      hey blackcomb I took a look around that site and its like newcomers need to slowly work their way in , the "rude thread" ..you cant post links when nobody knows you if your a new member ...too me it looks like a fun , good banter , site like PIO ....but has that cliquey feeling ......I think we all feel like that when we join a new site tbh .....so are you going to get a few threads going on here and bring your partners in crime aboard .......?
      blackcomb and Ziggy like this.

Title
      Liked
      114 times
      Rep
      Ziggy is on a distinguished road
      Hi, sorry to hear of your problems, glad you like this forum, great team of admin and mods here,
      I have found myself though on forums .... That if you say something that isn't agreed with, the morality police are let loose ..... I always hate threads about debt and money problems, by gosh they can be fiery, it's always best to air on the cautious side with these contentious subjects as none of us know when Mr and Mrs Bad Luck or Sir Down on Your Luck might come knocking .... Must admit ( and this sounds terribly catty ) but there are a few names that come to mind when I think of a dose of money worries
      Personally I can't stand cyber bullies or people who are judgemental .....
      Please do join in, looking forward to some good positive posts .... And thanks again for complimenting the behind the scenes team, .....
      blackcomb likes this.
      "I'm an instand star, just add water and stir" ..... David Bowie

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
      hey blackcomb I took a look around that site and its like newcomers need to slowly work their way in , the "rude thread" ..you cant post links when nobody knows you if your a new member ...too me it looks like a fun , good banter , site like PIO ....but has that cliquey feeling ......I think we all feel like that when we join a new site tbh .....so are you going to get a few threads going on here and bring your partners in crime aboard .......?
      Hi Tonyman,

yes, you hit the nail on the head there, but it's unforgiveable how they treat you (they are I mean), and it shouldn't be that way, it should be userfriendly, supportive and not judgemental and nasty and cliquey.

When I'd rejoin I'd always be careful and keep away from any threads that looked argumentative, but I swear they just get a kick out of blocking you from using it regardless, that is what happened in any case, and then you get the odd one on there (not educated enough I'd say going by how they behave) who is one of them, and on the nurses thread she liked to tell some of them what choice she'd make if it were her though she wasn't a nurse.. so to me, better to keep yap shut then if don't know what you're talking about rather than bleat off about what choice she'd make if..
      And it's probably why she didn't get any response (but ignored instead), it wasn't my convo I just observed it and read it all. Course if she had had a response she didn't like she'd have had that person blocked 'bats', I saw enough to know who the cliquey ones were put it that way.

Personally I'd rather stay away from that site now as it's not worth the hassle, be better if they just eliminated that clique and moderators who ever they are that control people in that way, then it would be a far better site like this one obviously is.

I think I've found my 'better site' right here Meant to add, I'll happily invite my Brit friends who also live abroad, one in Thailand, and others here in Canada, but do me a favour, if you get any of those nasties on here from that other forum who want to cause trouble, do to them what they did to me and ban them (permanently), it might give them a good taste of their own medicine too as well as keeping the negatives away, I noted them do it to newbies who introduced themselves too, and strongly got the impression that if you were Scottish you fit right in, but if you were remotely different to that you were more likely to get.. banned (just an observation) so now you see why I felt it a more discriminating forum (and not just on me). That is so wrong.
      Last edited by blackcomb; 28-11-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Thanks Ziggy, and you are spot on with all you said there too.

I hate immature nasty sites like that, and best stay away from them altogether. I've a few IT pros who used to advise me well on that before now, that forums are all bad and to stay off them, well I wouldn't say they are all bad, just some people on them can be and this one is far nicer from all I have seen at least. I'll stay on this one instead, seems to be a far maturer and better one all round. Hope more Brits join this one (the better ones of course who aren't as per the above).

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      blackcomb , It sounds like you needed a break from the hectic life of a lively forum , hence why I think you have come here .........but feel free to bring on board a few of your cyber mates ........

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
      blackcomb , It sounds like you needed a break from the hectic life of a lively forum , hence why I think you have come here .........but feel free to bring on board a few of your cyber mates ........
      ?

I think you meant a forum with a clique, yes correct I don't need to go on forums like that.

I don't do cyber mates perhaps you do, true friends and true friends is who I invited,just to correct you on that

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb View Post
      ?

I think you meant a forum with a clique, yes correct I don't need to go on forums like that.

I don't do cyber mates perhaps you do, true friends and true friends is who I invited,just to correct you on that

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast