Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Thread: That other British expat forum.. grrrrr!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb View Post
      Nice. Where do you live now? And not to worry, I'd rather be on this forum than on one that has some nasty negative types anyway.
      I am in Australia, been here 10 years, love it, but may return to the homeland one day. I would love to move back to Canada but I think it would be impossible now.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      69 times
      Rep
      Stacey is on a distinguished road
      I found that site very cliquey but I don't really see why you have to bring scottish people into it.. I really don't see moderators doing that to people. I take it you didn't see the member who dedicates his whole online personality to hating scottish people..? Best to just ignore people like that. Nobody will bully you here

Welcome to the forum

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      Stacey , do you still use that forum ?

Title
      Liked
      69 times
      Rep
      Stacey is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
      Stacey , do you still use that forum ?
      No not anymore, I was on it for the new zealand side when we were thinking of accepting the christchurch offer

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
      I found that site very cliquey but I don't really see why you have to bring scottish people into it.. I really don't see moderators doing that to people. I take it you didn't see the member who dedicates his whole online personality to hating scottish people..? Best to just ignore people like that. Nobody will bully you here

Welcome to the forum
      No didn't notice the guy on there hating Scottish people. I mentioned the Scottish because the people behaving toward me in all those negative ways were Scottish, so naturally I mentioned it. I did live up there for 4 yrs too in the RAF and though most off the base were very nice and the odd one a bit racist telling us you're English go back to England etc, most would jump to my defense, and I do have Scottish friends up there from back then and beyond, one over here in Alberta too as it happens. The ones in the RAF that were there could be pretty bad in those not so nice ways if you weren't Scottish, that I worked with anyway when I did office work, not all of them obviously. My Mum had this problem in Wales and so did I with two pushing me off the bus after college, so racism does exist, even in the UK among Brits!

And yes it's best to ignore them, but even when you wanted to go and post to others you couldn't so ignoring them did nothing either, thank goodness for this forum is all I can say as there's a better option now at least.

Good to know I wasn't the only one noticing it's cliquey on there. I did notice it when I couldn't get on intermittently with how they spoke down to newbies too just coming on and obviously not returning again. No need for that is there..
      Last edited by blackcomb; 20-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.
      tonyman likes this.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      I am in Australia, been here 10 years, love it, but may return to the homeland one day. I would love to move back to Canada but I think it would be impossible now.
      Why do you say that Ktee, it being impossible I mean? All I can think of is, being that wages are lower paid than in the UK for Oz and NZ, hence another reason I chose Canada, I didn't want to not be able to return to the UK, and to cover Direct debits, I have savings (endowments, that demutualized) in my UK account still going but due to mature soon. Be nice to get my own home again. Other reason I didn't go to NZ in then end was it being the other side of the world, compared to Canada which is halfway and still bad enough for getting friends to visit (flights being a rip off)

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Toedown is on a distinguished road
      I'm on that site as well, there are some cliquey on there (not me), but for the most part I've found it just friendly banter.
      The information and knowledge on there for emigrating in particular, to Canada, visas, PR, Citizenship, etc. is second to none, they have CBP's, Lawyers, that are very helpful.
      Good use of grammar, punctuation & capitals makes the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Toedown View Post
      I'm on that site as well, there are some cliquey on there (not me), but for the most part I've found it just friendly banter.
      The information and knowledge on there for emigrating in particular, to Canada, visas, PR, Citizenship, etc. is second to none, they have CBP's, Lawyers, that are very helpful.
      100% right on the cliquey part, and hardly friendly when you can't even get to chat and be friendly as the clique just keep banning you. Also others that are new I noted them being downright nasty to.

So will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      I have left to, there are 2 or 3 people on that forum who seem to delight in being rude and nasty to anyone who does not agree with them. Sad because there is a lot of good info on there and good people willing to help but in the end you just get sick of the nasty ones.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      For sure Willow, and sorry it happened to you too, it's happened to many, I've observed and read it with my own eyes, makes me angry too, people come on and just join ask advise or share their own opinion, and then those control freaks block and kick them off while being completely rude in their comments to them as well, it should be them booted off and it given a shake up with a new better moderator rather than a culture of biased friends running the show as they seem to act and like to do.

This one is better in that way. You are right it could be a good site, but the mods on there are all terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
      I have left to, there are 2 or 3 people on that forum who seem to delight in being rude and nasty to anyone who does not agree with them. Sad because there is a lot of good info on there and good people willing to help but in the end you just get sick of the nasty ones.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast