Thread: A Second Language

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road

A Second Language

British are said to be the laziest at learning a second language, with 61% of the population only speaking English.
      Do you speak another language? I have to admit that I am one of those 61%. I would love to learn Arabic but it's suppose to be the hardest language to learn.

The top 10 Easiest Foreign Languages to Learn are suppose to be:

Afrikaans
      Spanish
      French
      Norwegian
      Portugese
      Swedish
      Italian
      Esperanto
      Frisian

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      GMG

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      GMG is on a distinguished road
      After living in Denmark for 18mths I learnt Basic Danish passing the first two modules. With Danish being similar to the other Scandic languages I could also say, I speak a little Swedish and Norweigan too!!!

Let's say, I had enough to get by on a day-to-day basis.
      Cal likes this.

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      My kids speak Spanish and Swedish I could just about get by in Spanish and |German but am finding that the old saying "use it or lose it" rings true also finding as i get older I can't be arsed as much. I will say though that knowing even just a little bit of your hosts language pays dividends.
      Cal likes this.
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Cal

Title
      Liked
      218 times
      Rep
      Cal will become famous soon enough
      We started to learn Spanish and were doing quite well, enough to get us by when there. It all went to pot when we knew we were moving to Australia and ive forgotton most of it now,lol

Cal x

Remember the road to success is always under construction...

Title
      Liked
      27 times
      Rep
      braveheart is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
      My kids speak Spanish and Swedish I could just about get by in Spanish and |German but am finding that the old saying "use it or lose it" rings true also finding as i get older I can't be arsed as much. I will say though that knowing even just a little bit of your hosts language pays dividends.

I speak fluent Spanish and teach English and in the past taught Spanish but you are right " use it or lose it". I live in a completely Spanish village of less than 100 residents. I only have Spanish TV and radio and apart from my weekly trip to the rastro I only speak English to my husband when he is not at his orange grove, reading his Orkney newspaper or his head in his sudoko book. So thank God for my Spanish. I am trying to teach myself German which is very difficult but have a German neighbour who is married to a Spaniard and is willing to give me lessons in exchange for me teaching her husband English so I hope to do that soon. I speak Spanish to my cats and dog as they are natives.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      coffeelover7 is on a distinguished road
      I have been trying to learn Norwegian for 15 years. As soon as I speak in Norwegian they reply in English! Would love to be able to learn it. But in one ear and out the other!

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      coffeelover7 is on a distinguished road
      Been trying to learn Norwegian for the past 15 years! Not easy for some of us but I wish I could do it!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      hum9 is on a distinguished road
      English is a universal language, no doubt. I speak English but it is not my native tongue. I am also open to learning other languages when necessary. I am currently learning how to talk Hungarian language because I am going to visit a friend in Budapest.