Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Thread: Spain

Tinkerbelle

Spain

Hello
      I'm a newbie so please be nice!
      My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Spain, but I've seen a couple of news stories that are making me worried, and wondered if anyone here could allay my fears!
      Firstly, I heard that the way Spanish inheritance tax works means that if either of us was to pass away, the other would need to pay a lump sum to the Spanish government for inheriting the other half of the house. Is this true?
      Also, I read on APlaceInTheSun.com that people are losing their homes and I'm worried this could happen to us - http://www.aplaceinthesun.com/news/s...olitions/12133
      I'd appreciate any advice!
      Tinks.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Hi Tinkerbelle,
      what you need to do is rent a property over there at first, 6 - 12 months.
      This will give you peace of mind to start with for if anything goes wrong you are not loosing a lot. Also this will let you get the lie of the land and give you the chance of learning what to do and what not to do from the community circle you end up in.

Whereabouts in spain do you fancy?

Tinkerbelle
      Well, I love Andalucia. I've got (don't laugh!) dreams of starting a riding business there because the horses are so wonderful. I've been searching on the A Place In The Sun website where I saw the news story and found a property with land and stables.

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
      Well, I love Andalucia. I've got (don't laugh!) dreams of starting a riding business there because the horses are so wonderful. I've been searching on the A Place In The Sun website where I saw the news story and found a property with land and stables.

I'm not laughing.
      I watched a place in the sun episode where a woman did just that.
      Good luck to you.
      Learn spanish for the vet mind.

Doz

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Doz is on a distinguished road
      Hi Tinkerbelle,
      Nobody is going to laugh at your dreams here, i hope you are able to turn them into reality, i really do. We are all here to help in any way we can, even if its for just a chat about your dreams.

Tinkerbelle
      Aw thanks. I seem to be spending a lot of time looking at properties at the moment! Will probaby get fired soon!

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      traveller is on a distinguished road
      Hi Tinkerbelle

It's good that you've got a definite goal to aim for - and don't get put off by horror stories, just be cautious and definitely learn Spanish. My Dad built his own place out there and speaking Spanish certainly helped. You could find a teacher who will tailor your lessons to your needs. My Dad learnt all the building jargon and legal stuff along witht the conversational Spanish and because he had a purpose for using it he picked it up very quickly.

I think renting out there for a bit would be a good move - might give you time to get a bit more savvy about the area and people. We haven't sold our house in the UK yet (although now we're probably gonna hang onto it) until we were sure we wanted to settle here.