Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wimbledon Tennis.

Liz H

Wink Wimbledon Tennis.

I am an avid fan of tennis Watched on TV, yesterday, and today. So great to see the more traditional white clothing. Glad to see that Andy Murray went on to the second round. Have been a supporter of his since he first came on the scene..

Bagpipes Please!!

Wouldn't it be great to see whites ;( clothing ) in cricket matches too.? Or I am showing my age ?
      Liz

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Yeah i'm following the Tennis too Liz, sadly most of the other Brits got knocked out in the first round so just Murray a 1 other thro to the next round in the Singles not sure about the doubles.

Liz H
      Glad that Andy succeeded again today. Nearly missed the broadcast due to a thunderstorm . We get our feed on US based ESPN. , but because of bad weather we had intermittent coverage.
      Also was disappointed in some of the reaction of the crowd ,( who were from the S. of England), when interviewed by Pam Shriver, a former US player, who asked about how they felt about Andy. They were not so supportive of him as they were of Tim Henman, . Why ? Andy is not English.!

The weather has held up very well this year so far ---- no need to use the roof.

Liz.
      Last edited by Liz H; 26-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Andy Chapman
      For me Liz, it would just be nice to see a Brit into a Grand Slam Final and hopefully win it.

As for the likes of Andy Murray i also know quite a few Brits who dislike him because of his attitude, I think a win at Wimbledon would give him an even bigger head than he already has.

Tim Henman was a true gent, Andy Murray has alot of growing up to do.

Liz H
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chapman View Post
      For me Liz, it would just be nice to see a Brit into a Grand Slam Final and hopefully win it.

As for the likes of Andy Murray i also know quite a few Brits who dislike him because of his attitude, I think a win at Wimbledon would give him an even bigger head than he already has.

Tim Henman was a true gent, Andy Murray has alot of growing up to do.

I agree that Tim Henman was a real gentleman on court. I don't know much about Murray's attitude. I, too, would like to see a Brit win, as Canada has nobody with the necessary talent at the moment.
      I do think though that the nature of tennis has changed. It used to be , for lack of a better word, ' kinder '. Now, it seems more business -- like boxers going at it in the ring. And to succeed one has to have a 'fighting' attitude.
      I really dislike the fist pumping and looks, almost of hate, in the eyes of some players directed towards their opponent.
      Haven't seen cricket for a long while, but I think that has changed too

Andy Chapman
      Yep couldn't agree more Liz. I watched Leyton Hewitt beat Del Potro yesterday, the fist thump and look on Hewitts face towards Del Potro when Hewitt beat him disgusted me i now hope he loses in the next round as my feelings towards him have changed. There's just no need for that type of anger towards your apponent.

As for Cricket & Rugby, can't stand either of them Liz. Can't wait for the Athletics to start tho.

Liz H
      Hi Andy,

Just watched Andy Murray play ;glad to see he advanced. Was also pleased to see his demeanor was good; no fist pumping nor yelling nor any very aggressive behaviour; perhaps he read your post!!

Also heard that if Andy makes it to the finals that the Queen will attend.
      Anyway, hope things continue going well. Won't say more in case I jinx things.
      Liz
      Last edited by Liz H; 29-06-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Liz H
      So Andy managed to pull out another win. Many people thought it would have been easy for him, but I have always thought that Wawrinka was a very difficult, tricky player. In spite of his need for the trainer's attention, to me, he looked, in much better shape than Andy Murray at the end of the game.
      I think that some players, not all, do a very good acting job and ask for a trainer when all they need is a break to regroup. I believe that certain players have such a reputation.

The temperature at Wimbledon, is apparently very high, with high humidity, and from what the commentators say , is supposed to get higher in the next few days. Somewhat like the Summer we usually have, but not so far, it is still early for us .

skink
      A bit late finding this thread but just to say that I'm very much English and I support Andy Murray - yay!! I think he's okay attitude-wise. He's very young and a little bit of aggression playing is not a bad thing in my opinion.

I fear we won't see his match tonight (we're 6 hours ahead of London) unless the Haas-Federer match is over quickly - and that is unlikely - but that one will be interesting to watch. I don't think it'll be a walkover by any means.

Did ya see the Dementiava-Serena W. match? Wow, don't usually get too excited about the womens matches, but that was a really gutsy match.

Liz H
      Ah, well ! There's still next year! Not a very good game really.
      I did see the Dementiava/S. Williams match. Apart from the serves, I think Dementiava was the better player on that particular day

For several years, I have noticed a very distinguished looking ,older gentleman, with a grey goatee, wearing a navy suit with a badge on his lapel and a very unusual hat, also with a badge. A uniform, perhaps ? He usually, has been seated either at the back of the 'friends' box' or close by.
      Does anyone know who he is and what organization he represents? Just curious.
      Liz

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast