Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      traveller

You know you're a 'grown up' when....

You know you're a 'grown up' when.... you realise you're watching history in the making. I'd never have thought that I would be glued to the TV watching the US reporting on the Presidential Election but both my husband and me watched the coverage tonight knowing that this is a historical moment regardless of what party line you agree with. And I have to say I was actually impressed with the coverage - we watched the local news station.

This is not my defining moment of realising I'm a grown-up - that came when I fully realised the implications of a Tracker as opposed to a Fixed Rate Mortgage!!

So when did you know you were a 'grown-up'??

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Sorry to report but i never watched it and if it ever came on the TV
      or Radio, they would gets tuned into another station, can't stand
      politics it depresses me and bores me silly.

Now what makes me feel grown up, aching muscles and a deminished
      sex life it gets harder to do anything these days Trav. lol.
      No Hard Feelings i just can't lie and say it gets any better.

Andy

Liz H
      Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
      You know you're a 'grown up' when.... you realise you're watching history in the making. I'd never have thought that I would be glued to the TV watching the US reporting on the Presidential Election but both my husband and me watched the coverage tonight knowing that this is a historical moment regardless of what party line you agree with. And I have to say I was actually impressed with the coverage - we
      watched the local news station.

This is not my defining moment of realising I'm a grown-up - that came when I fully realised the implications of a Tracker as opposed to a Fixed Rate Mortgage!!

So when did you know you were a 'grown-up'??

Not so much about knowing when I was ' grown up' but a defining moment came when I was a student at the University of Michigan, many
      years ago and marched to a rally in support of Martin Luther King

Liz

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post

Not so much about knowing when I was ' grown up' but a defining moment came when I was a student at the University of Michigan, many

Liz

Thats cool Liz - Shame he's not alive to see whats happened

Andy + Team

Liz H

Grown up

At least his dream was realized.
      Liz

Esseare
      You know you're a 'grown up' when.... you realise you're watching history in the making.
      And you know you're OLD when you watch a history programme and realise that you remember it happening.

traveller
      Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post

Liz

That is very cool! Sounds like your student days were interesting. What did you study?

I stayed at the univeristy of Michigan a few years back - I'm a teacher and we were doing a comparison study of their teaching practices in the prisons here. Michigan is beautiful - I liked it a lot, just prefer the warmer weather of California!

I have to say it did feel like history was being made when we watched Obama's exceptance speech on the TV. I don't know what it's like in the 'red' states but there's definitely an upbeat feel here now.

Liz H
      That is very cool! Sounds like your student days were interesting. What did you study?

I stayed at the univeristy of Michigan a few years back - I'm a teacher and we were doing a comparison study of their teaching practices in the prisons here. Michigan is beautiful - I liked it a lot, just prefer the warmer weather of California!

I have to say it did feel like history was being made when we watched Obama's exceptance speech on the TV. I don't know what it's like in the 'red' states but there's definitely an upbeat feel here now.
      Hi Traveller,
      Thanks for your interest. Since I had been teaching since 1954, and had to ' upgrade ' my qualifications, which is an entirely different story, my main interest was again to 'upgrade ' in Michigan. At this time I was a 'mature ' student[ I had two children by this time ]and was in my 30's. Therefore, in the late 60's, I took a BA in Education, major in English, minor in Science.After which I began a PhD program in International/Comparative Ed.which included a lot of Anthropology and Sociology. I completed all of the necessary course work. All that was left to do was the Field Work and the thesis-- the fun stuff. One of my profs had volunteered to be chairman of my PhD Committee, and I was to spend 6 mths working in Hong Kong with his uncle and another 6mths in Singapore with his brother, comparing the two educational systems, after Singapore became independant. I had gone so far as to have had most vaccinations, including cholera, and was about to have 'yellow fever' shots, and was only weeks away from relocating when because of family disintegration I was compelled to abandon a PhD and settle for an MA. and find work, which I did eventually. But that is another story.
      Yes, my student days were indeed interesting.
      I lived in Ann Arbor , the main campus of the U. of M. a very pleasant place to live, lots of cultural activities, but as in most places, not easy to break into the established cliques.
      Liz