Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Chelsea1206 is on a distinguished road

UK to USA - advice please

Hello,

Iím looking for some advice and a starting point.

Iíve always had in the back of my mind that I would like to try new things and explore new places. Travelling from place to place has never been something that has appealed to me. LIVING/ working in a new place really is. Iíve got my sights set on New York. Iíve been having a read and there are very mixed opinions on visas / how easy it would be for me to do this.

Would I would love to do is move to NY, work for a year while renting a place and see where it goes from there. Iím lucky enough to be in a situation where I am able to up and leave and be able to support myself while doing so.

Can anyone give me any advice where to start and their experiences? What Visaís to look at, how long can they take?

Iíve read that there is no point in applying for jobs from the UK as you wonít be taken seriously, you need to move out there and begin to apply, so Iím saving up around £5,000 ($7,000) to set me up for the first few months while I job search.

I do not have a skilled profession, I currently work in the UK with the running of the office in a HVAC company, prior to that Iíve always been office based. But always a main support beam to the business. I free-lance web develop/design but nothing that would put me into a career for it as itís purely self-taught. Iím also a hobbyist photographer. (Not sure if any of this helps ha) Ė Iím also 23.
      Last edited by Chelsea1206; 14-04-2016 at 09:11 AM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979