Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      jhwalker79

Working holiday in America without Visa, Help!!

Hi i'm new to the site and wondering if any1 can help, i'm an experienced bartender and for the last eight years i have worked the bar seen all over Europe, i have a few months holiday and i'm planning to visit New York and L.A, i dont have a working visa and would like to know if it is at all possible to find work without one and what the consequence's would be if you got cought working without one, any help would b much appreciated, thanks..
      Last edited by jhwalker79; 05-01-2009 at 10:04 PM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      traveller
      Hi jhwalker and welcome!

We've taken the legal route which can be a little frustrating to say the least as most people trying to get sponsors and visas will agree.

Since 9/11 (according to legals and not-so-legals here) things have changed a lot and as far as we were made aware by our attorney if you get caught you're out and you don't get back in. If you're not planning on returning anyway that may not concern you. Of course you could just hold out 'til the next amnesty whenever that's likely to be!

As far as getting work without a visa - I'm not sure if you could get a bar job without a social security number, but I'm sure someone else on here will be happy to tell you!

Andy Chapman
      Welcome to B-A jhwalker and good luck in your search.

Andy

Florida Redhead
      Quote Originally Posted by jhwalker79 View Post
      .... i'm planning to visit New York and L.A, i dont have a working visa and would like to know if it is at all possible to find work without one and what the consequence's would be if you got cought working without one, any help would b much appreciated, thanks..
      No, you cannot work legally without a green card.
      In my opinion, you would be very foolish to attempt to work illegally.
      If you get caught, as traveller says, you will be deported and you will be on the "Don't even try to get back in" list.
      As an illegal, no matter how careful you might be, there would always be somebody willing to shop you,
      especially if he is an American and wants your job.
      I used to work as Office Manager for a small company, owned by an American couple.
      They liked British and Irish people....they hired two British lads who had been working as landscapers / lawn maintenance.
      I'll call them Bill and Ben.
      The Boss gave Bill and Ben the job of building a luxurious pool at his home, with a rock wall and waterfall. They did a good job, so the owner gave them some maintenance jobs around the workshop. Not only that, but he let Bill drive the Company van. I saw the van in the parking lot of my favourite Irish Pub, more than once.

Well, the inevitable happened......Bill was caught DUI in a commercial vehicle, and driving without a license. When the Police went to the workshop, they discovered that Bill and Ben were employed illegally, and paid in in cash to avoid paying tax and insurance.
      ICE was called in.
      Bill and Ben were deported, Bill with a $1,000 fine and a DUI record.
      The Company Owner was fined $20,000 for employing two illegals.
      The Company went out of business soon after that.
      It turned out it was a disgruntled employee who had alerted the Police and ICE.
      Last edited by Florida Redhead; 28-03-2009 at 02:46 AM.