Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup

purple
      What did you think about the England performance yesterday?

I thought the draw was a fair result, we didn't attack them like I thought we would.
      After Gerrard's goal Irealy wondered if we'd steamroller them 3 or 4 nil, but we kind of backed off the pace a bit, and then came Green's error and we were back to needing a goal to win it.

What was the idea of Rooney playing so deep anyway?
      As for Heskey? Come on, you gotta make it difficult for the keeper man, banging the ball straight at him like that? Pointless.

We'll make it out of the group, but we're going to need to look sharper than that.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      JBJ
      Yeah I was ok with the performance, pretty sure I could've stopped that goal, stupid school team error! We should have scored a few times, just can't get that finish. Did anyone see Rooney? I was looking for him, but he seemed to disappear!

purple
      Yeah I'm pretty sure that he won't be allowed to forget that goal... ever! I know I could have stopped that one.. "get you body behind the ball for every save".. right?
      I'm waiting to see how we perform against the "lesser teams" in our group, Sloevenia and Algeria should be a different proposition, and anyway everyone expected the yanks to give us a game, and they did.

After seeing Germany rip the Aussie's apart yesterday, I'm wondering how good they'll look against a decent side too. Australia were poor at the back, and Germany were good up front, let's see their defence tested before we all start assuming that they're going to win the competition based on one performance, eh?

Hope
      Last nights games was abysmal! England were.. crap. Albania rang rings round them - just wish they'd scored a bloody goal!

Hey Purps..."A B E" tees are also available btw [Anyone but england] :D

purple
      Heya Hope!

Good to see you again! Where've you been?

Have to agree, England were pretty well ... what you said. All down to the game on Wednesday now, who'd have thought it eh? We could actually end up not getting out of a group that have two apparent no hopers in. As for Albania running rings around them?.. nah, I don't agree. To be honest I think they looked as unlikely to score a goal as we did, it was basically a "non game" all round.
      If Capello doesn't have a change around and have a different team out on Wednesday it's not looking good or "hope"ful.

Haha, Oh I believe me, I know the A B E tee's are available! They have been for the last 4 World Cup competitions ;-) Hence the reason someone finally came up with the SNP ones. You need me to post a link to the site that sells them, so you can get one? :D Go on, you know you wanna

JBJ
      I can't take it anyore!! They should send all Englands 'Superstars' home and send out some players from the championship level that actually want to play for England.

No looking good for us, should win 4-0 but I just hope they win by ANY margin! I will be watching through my fingers!!

purple
      Hey JBJ,

We could be paying the price for having so many foreign players in the Premiership right now. Capello has something to answer for as well as the players though, don't you think? Rooney playing so deep and Gerrard playing out (of position) on the left? That's not working... obviously!

So it comes down to us winning tomorrow, if we do that we're through to the next stage. ;) It's the same for France. I think the idea of us winning 4-0 is a bit of a stretch after watching the Slovenia vs USA match, and seeing how we played against Algeria though. 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 maybe, but unless we do something drastically different, then 4 has got to be out of the question hasn't it? Honestly, we didn't even look like scoring against Algeria, so I'll settle for a 1-0 win against Slovenia (afterall, we aren't Portugal).

Anyway, surely nobody believed the hype that said we could actually win the whole thing this time, did they? I'll stick my neck out and say I still think we'll make the quarter finals.
      Last edited by purple; 22-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.

purple
      Ok all you naysayers, so what did you all think of England winning today then? At least we're through out of the group stage- now the competition begins. :D

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Well, I was hoping England would be beat and we could move on :(

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by thearmchairdetective View Post
      Well, I was hoping England would be beat and we could move on :(
      Tut tut ACD! No chance of that just yet.
      Would I be right in thinking you're not exactly interested in the fortune of our national football team?

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast