• 1 Post By Sapphire

Thread: Can any one help ?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Longbow is on a distinguished road

Can any one help ?

Hi there i am looking at moving back to the UK in January Northern Ireland to be precise. I have been living in Benidorm for the last 6 years and my partner for 9 she is also British and we have a 3 year old son. The reason in moving back is simply that there is no work here any more esp in the winter months so effectively the money you saved in the summer months went on getting you though the winter but the last 2 years have been rock bottom so we have decided enough is enough but the money we have managed to save will only last a few weeks

Can any one tell me what we will have to do when we get back regarding what benefits we will be able to claim until we get settled and sorted out with jobs ? advice on things such as heath care and housing benefits. we have been on the http://www.nidirect.gov.uk site but it really dosent tell us what we need to know it just gives you guidelines

Has any one out there returned to the UK in similar circumstances and is able to give me advice on what to do and how to go about it
      Thank you for your time and a very Happy Christmas to you all when it comes

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      504 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Hi Longbow, sorry to hear about your situation. I dont know much about returning in those circumstances but presumably as British citizens you should be entilted to job seekers allowance...may be a waiting period though?

Title
      Liked
      857 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      I moved back to Greater London from Marbella earlier this year and if the system i8s the same where you are heading its a minefield. We applied for working tax credit, and child tax credit which are dealt with by the local tax office and child benefit (not tax credit) from the local social security office. If i remember correctly you need to apply for the child benefit first as you need to quote the reference number on the tax credit forms.
      It is a good idea to book an appointment with each office to get help filling in the forms as a lot of the questions wont apply to you being a returning expat.
      One tip from me would be to flirt and flutter the eyelashes at the interviewer (even if you want to punch them square on the jaw), they put up with chavs and scumbags all day and if you can brighten their day they have the power to make the process a little less painful.
      Ktee and Sapphire like this.
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Sapphire is on a distinguished road
      As far as I can tell from the Direct gov website, there are 2 types of jobseekers allownce, and you may qualify for the non-contributary allowance.Thats where you have a gap in paying N.I contribution
      The info is on Direct Gov, and if you qualify for jobseekers, it seems you then qualify for rent assistance and council tax benefits as well
      Good Luck with it all
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      894 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Is it true that if you are out of the country for more than 6 months you cannot get NHS?

Title
      Liked
      20 times
      Rep
      Sapphire is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      Is it true that if you are out of the country for more than 6 months you cannot get NHS?
      I do remember reading something about only qualifying for part NHS if you have been out of the country for years,but not too sure how long "years" is

My Son has returned after 4 years to the UK and he has been fine with Drs, getting eyes tested ,I dont think anyone has asked and he hasent mentioned being out of the country
      You wouldent think being British, there would be a problem, considering "all and sundry" seem to get free healthcare when they arrive in the UK, if you get my meaning
      Last edited by Sapphire; 16-12-2011 at 02:06 AM.