Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Rocatah

Thread: Debating whether to come back to the uk after 16 years....

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Rocatah is on a distinguished road

Debating whether to come back to the uk after 16 years....

Hi everyone.
      I am a British citizen who moved to the USA in 1999. It's been good here but I'm thinking of returning to Wales to be close to family and friends. I miss the chippy lol
      I will be bringing my 2 dogs with me so it's going to be at least 6 to 7 months before it happens as I have to get them microchipped and get all the vaccinations needed. That will take about 6 months from what I read. I'm going to start that process now, that way I have 6 months to make the decision.
      I will be staying with friends until I can get a place of my own. I'm looking at council housing.
      I am divorced now and in the settlement I am entitled to some of my ex's pension. Will I lose the right to claim this if I move back to the UK?
      What about taxes that I have paid over here. My pension?
      I'm so confused.
      Any help anyone can offer would be great.

Thank you
      Tracy
      rronald likes this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      rronald is on a distinguished road
      I too am thinking of returning to live in Wales. I am retired and have been in the USA for 45 years but no family here. I have family in south Wales that I visit often but I will need somewhere to live on my own. How easy is it to rent there without a credit history? I have an excellent credit rating in the USA but I am told it is non-transferable to the UK.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ChicaSnowbird is on a distinguished road
      I am also thinking of returning to UK in Yorkshire. I haven't a clue how to reinstate myself for Benefits or apply for Council Housing Any info would be an enormous boost. Thanks

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Samantha80 is on a distinguished road
      So if this depends on whether you applied for citizenship while you were abroad?

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Rocatah is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Samantha80 View Post
      So if this depends on whether you applied for citizenship while you were abroad?
      Nope. I just have my greencard :)

Tracy

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      If you are a Brit and still a citizen it won't be so difficult. I found myself at the council office, my Dad pre-checked things out for me before I went back for 6 months in 2011 (mainly to ensure my child's Father took responsibility toward child as he avoided it until forced and son deserved that much at least, ex bought himself a bigger house while avoiding responsibilities of course), long story short I would have hoped to marry the guy had it not been for his involvement with not one, but two others. One of a 20 yr history of hopping into bed every xmas from his hometown (Nottingham), well you just know that bad habit will never end, with his history of being non-monogomous, you find these things out too late. The only way I could rid myself of her was to kiss it all goodbye and tell them to get together since they clearly can't stay apart anyway.

Anyway.. guess the fastest way to get help would be to stay at a B&B and declare yourself homeless, though that was not what I did, you could do that though if you had to and no other options. I stayed with my folks one night and rented their flat they rent out ongoing via the council, folks had already got that cleared before I got back to the UK in 2011. Got work sorted a short while after that.

Hope that helps, basically get down to the local council office where you are aiming to stay, and if you have your parents of family members in the same area of course that will make the process much smoother as they will want to know your roots. Take your passport and Social insurance number card too, and any address of a family member proof will also help.
      Last edited by blackcomb; 07-04-2014 at 03:04 AM.