Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      danteshydratshirt is on a distinguished road

GP and NHS entitlements when you return - anyone know?

I am in the final stages of returning to England after 8 years abroad. Unfortunately for me I will be returning with little to no money. I do not really wish to claim benefits of any kind when I return but I would like to to know just in case

My understanding is that as a GB passport holder I would not be entitled to any real form of benefits immediately upon return and there is a 3 months period for proof of permanent residency.

What applies to things like prescriptions?

On a related note - what is the process of obtaining a GP? Do they require a permanent address? I honestly cannot recall what I did when I changed GP about 10 years ago

advice or links would be appreciated, so thanks in advance

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      monalott is on a distinguished road
      I have lived in Spain many years but some 12 years ago ,after retiring from my business,I bought a little property in Devon ,a county I was familiar with,but also kept on my property here.At the time my residencia was up for renewal so I was in limbo as to whether I would continue being a Spanish resident or not.I was able to have a bank account(since I could produce a gas bill in my name!)even a library ticket & pensioners`bus pass.But I was concerned about registering with a GP.So I consulted the CAB who were unsure about my status,then age-concern,again no proper answer so I went to a Solicitor who told me"I was in a grey area"When I said"Should I say I am a refugee"he just grinned.Fortunately out of the blue someone asked to buy my property & I returned to Spain where,due to the long delay on my recidencia renewal,I looked on my 10 month UK experience as an adventure.Maybe things have changed since then but do your homework beforehand as much as possible as,should you need medical help the EHIC may not be sufficient whilst you sort things out.Good luck.