Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      lpower224 is on a distinguished road

Having to return to UK due to separation, with child. What to do first?

Unfortunately due to my husbands mental health problems we are going through a separation, which will leave me with no house, or money. I am a UK citizen but have lived in Italy 10 years and my son was born here, but was registered and has a british birth certificate. Never changed my drivers license and have a credit card in UK at parents address. Have arranged to stay on sisters sofa...as my father has heart problems and cannot cope with a child around.. will need to ask for help with housing, benefits etc until my son is sorted out and then I can look for work. Any ideas on what I should do first? I have booked flight for June as per lawyers advise there will be no problem taking my son back because of my husbands unstable condition, but wondered if I can contact anyone ahead of arriving to sort out a school for my son...and inform them of my situation. Am feeling very desperate as here we had everything but it is all in my husbands name so have no entitlements under Italian law except welfare for my son that my husband has agreed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by lpower224 View Post
      Unfortunately due to my husbands mental health problems we are going through a separation, which will leave me with no house, or money. I am a UK citizen but have lived in Italy 10 years and my son was born here, but was registered and has a british birth certificate. Never changed my drivers license and have a credit card in UK at parents address. Have arranged to stay on sisters sofa...as my father has heart problems and cannot cope with a child around.. will need to ask for help with housing, benefits etc until my son is sorted out and then I can look for work. Any ideas on what I should do first? I have booked flight for June as per lawyers advise there will be no problem taking my son back because of my husbands unstable condition, but wondered if I can contact anyone ahead of arriving to sort out a school for my son...and inform them of my situation. Am feeling very desperate as here we had everything but it is all in my husbands name so have no entitlements under Italian law except welfare for my son that my husband has agreed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

So sorry to hear of this , what a difficult position you are in , do they have free Citizens Advice in Italy ? I don't know about schools in the UK but we had to be in Perth before any school would entertain us .......I do hope things work out .........