Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ianp is on a distinguished road

Moving back to the UK, confused on what to do

Hi,
      I'm new here, I am wanting to move back to the UK, I have been searching the internet, but everything is a little confusing.

I left the UK three and a half years ago with my now ex to live in Germany (The intention was to stay in DE). To leave all I done was fill out some tax form (unsure which, the ex sorted that out, which meant I got some form of rebate). Then registered in DE, sorted out health insurance, started work and went on my merry way.

I thought all I would need do is the reverse, fill out some forms in DE, move, find somewhere to live, job... Done, but it seems that if I bring any money back to the UK I will have to pay income tax (not that there will be any money left after the move).

I am now worried they want to tax me (income tax) on what I earned in DE. I don't understand how that is possible? I have already paid income tax in DE.

I have read through some of the FAQs but as lot seem cut and pasted from the government site.

If anyone could help that would be great, also time scale for the move would be earliest start of May, have I enough time to sort this out?

Thanks

Ian

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      114 times
      Rep
      Ziggy is on a distinguished road
      Hi there
      welcome
      As far as I am aware the Uk does not have a double taxation treaty, so no tax should be requested, if you've been paying tax in Germany that should be enough ..... I thinking is only the USA where you would pay double taxation, but please don't hold meto it

i mean if you had to pay tax to the Germans and the brits you'd be better off not working ......
      Good luck
      "I'm an instand star, just add water and stir" ..... David Bowie

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ianp is on a distinguished road
      Hi,
      Yeah that makes sense, phew.
      It could also be possible that my current company in DE keep me but I and live in England. Any idea how that would work? I would have thought maybe I become self employed and then pay UK income tax. I don't think the government would be happy if I lived in the UK and paid income tax in another company. Plus I would not get a great state pension and or health care.
      Any thoughts on how that would work?

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
      Hi,
      Yeah that makes sense, phew.
      It could also be possible that my current company in DE keep me but I and live in England. Any idea how that would work? I would have thought maybe I become self employed and then pay UK income tax. I don't think the government would be happy if I lived in the UK and paid income tax in another company. Plus I would not get a great state pension and or health care.
      Any thoughts on how that would work?
      By being resident of both countries, somehow.

You would have to be seen as resident to get the benefits, and pay the taxes, otherwise you'd be rejected by one and not the other most likely (depending where you're living)