Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      mattleppard is on a distinguished road

New to forum / tax question

Hi there
      First off, as a long-time user of many forum boards, I do apologise if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere. If so, of if there is an overarching set of notes to taxation queries, please do point me to it.

Other than that, I'll keep it simple. I am British, 46, and I've been living and working abroad for close to 16 years now and am currently based in Jakarta. Myself, my Indonesian spouse, PR director at a 5-star hotel here, and our 3yo son and unborn daughter are thinking of moving to the UK within a year or two. I've started planning using the excellent checklist pinned as a sticky post on this forum. I've already contact the relevant authorities about my social security status.

But wading through the HMRC pages and updates and so on about my tax status is daunting. Can anybody point me to something simple, or even let me know my basic tax status here?

My details are as follows:

1. I left the UK in 2000 having worked for 10+ years as a registered taxpayer and with all social security contributions paid. I have a copy of my P60 form from my last UK employer.
      2. I have worked in Thailand and Indonesia in a number of positions then, with tax fully paid and with all the legal paperwork, although I am not currently employed and have not been for 10 months.
      3. I have never transferred any substantial sums of money (none that I can think of in fact) or salary back to the UK. However, sums of money have been transferred to me as gifts or small lump sums from inheritances.
      4. I have registered (some time ago and since when my circumstances have changed) with the FCO as an overseas citizen.

On the basis of the above, will I face any tax obligations on my return?

Many, many thanks in advance of any info.
      Last edited by mattleppard; 18-02-2016 at 06:49 AM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      LAMMIMAN is on a distinguished road
      Hi there Matt.

You could face tax obligations. The requirements for being classified as non-resident and non-domiciled are tricky and specific, and having violated any of the details you could be liable for tax in the UK.

I write about investments for a financial information website that is run by an advisor to Asia-based UK expats on tax/financial issues (PlanYourFinances.com in case you are interested - they have lots of information on this kind of issue and also have advisors for custom consultations) that one common mistake is that expats make the common-sensical assumption that because they have lived abroad for a long-time they won't have obligations, but because of some obscure detail are hit with a nasty surprise tax bill.

Good luck!

Alan