Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      3mark3 is on a distinguished road

Cool Returning - Rental Process

Hi All

Hoping someone can assist with a couple of questions on the rental process for a returnee... trying to get my ducks in a row before heading back looking for a place.

Background: Heading back after 15 years early next year. Selling a small business, so I'll have cash, though no 'job' until I get established.

Confused about how to rent a place with no UK credit score and references only possible in Hungarian! I owned before leaving, so 20+ years since my last rental.

Anyone done this recently?

Do agencies ask for a bigger deposit? Some kind of escrow?

Apologies if this is a daft question, confused as to where to start.

Assistance appreciated!

Mark

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      KMJ

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      KMJ is on a distinguished road
      It's difficult, but not impossible. I recently managed to arrange a seven-month rental in the UK before leaving Australia. After 35 years away, and with no UK credit score or rental references, I found that some letting agents wouldn't consider my application, mostly because they hadn't met me in person. But perseverance paid off, and here's how I did it .....

I explained in a covering letter why I wished to rent that specific property in that specific location, and my reasons for returning to the UK. If they were prepared to then at least consider my application I sent a pdf file I'd compiled containing numerous references, including .....

1) Airbnb - all my hosts have left complimentary feedback regarding how immaculate I kept their places
      2) Housesitting Assignments - I've done many housesitting assignments over the years, for which I'd obtained references. I also provided a link to the housesitting website where the people who have house-sat for me have left feedback about my home.
      3) Property - photos of my current home and references from real estate agents who sold my previous homes
      4) Employment - references from all my past employers (I'm now retired)
      5) an Australian Police Clearance Certificate

The letting agent also required proof of ID (a scan of my British passport) and copies of two Australian utility bills.

I had to pay all seven months' rent in advance, plus the bond, which I considered a reasonable requirement.

If you are applying in person after you return to the UK you might find it easier than I did arranging everything from the other side of the world. Preparation and references are the key. Good luck!