Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Some great advice here, thanks guys x

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Trueblue
      emotional point, for me if I cark it , funeral pyre , a good motor bike drive for me mates and drinks back home

meanwhile back in europe
      A German radio station is offering the prize of a luxury funeral for the most original or witty epitaph for a gravestone. Source: Getty Images

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226016902270
      Last edited by Trueblue; 17-03-2011 at 02:45 AM.

purple
      It's a complicated thing but I've checked this out beforehand, and I can say without a shadow of a dounbt that having my body cremated here in the US, and at some point later having the ashes taken and scattered over in the UK would not make me responsible for inheritance taxes in the UK.
      Yes, I would imagine that having your body taken back there and having a burial could be seen in a different way.

Florida Redhead
      I have no intention of leaving enough to incur Inheritance Tax!
      Threshold is currently 275K pounds.
      Tax rate is 40%.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/customerguide/page2.htm#5
      Last edited by Florida Redhead; 18-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by Florida Redhead View Post
      I have no intention of leaving enough to incur Inheritance Tax!
      Threshold is currently 275K pounds.
      Just to correct that -
      Actually, the inheritance tax threshold in the UK is 325K right now and has been since 2009. It hasn't been 275K since the tax year of Apr2005 thru Mar2006.

Florida Redhead
      Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
      Just to correct that -
      Actually, the inheritance tax threshold in the UK is 325K right now and has been since 2009. It hasn't been 275K since the tax year of Apr2005 thru Mar2006.
      Even better! I definitely have no worries!

I did a search for "Inland Revenue UK Inheritance Tax" - they must be using an old site.

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by Florida Redhead View Post
      Even better! I definitely have no worries!

I did a search for "Inland Revenue UK Inheritance Tax" - they must be using an old site.
      Actually no, I checked the link you posted from the HMRC, it's headed "Example calculation", it was merely using an example of someone that died in April 2005, not currently. The threshold has changed a few times since then.

The relevant info re the actual thresholds (should anyone need it) is available via another page of the same site, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/inheritance.htm
      use the link titled "inheritance tax thresholds".
      Last edited by purple; 18-03-2011 at 11:54 PM.

toxan
      Stay under the threshold, give the rest away, live for swven years when you do, and you should be ok. All this talk before the election about raising the threshold,was just crap, to get the votes!

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      I will probably end up back in England, UK by then, hopefully no accidents not tempting fate.

Prefer our hospitals and care there, better team work and health care pros that care! In hospitals at least.

I need to do my will (do have a son after all)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12