• 1 Post By braveheart

Thread: Advice or help

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Michele is on a distinguished road

Advice or help

Hi there I am new to all of this so have no idea what I am doing.

Back in the early 70's my parents emigrated to South Africa.
      I am a single mother of a 13 year old, I also have my frail mother now to take care of and among all finding it harder and harder to survive in South Africa. I was thinks when mom Passes it might be an idea to sell up and move back to the UK, but of course have no idea as to what to expect or what to do. What happens if I move back and can't find a place to stay or a job. who do I contact to get all the info I need to go home.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      850 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      Have to tried this site? http://ukinsouthafrica.fco.gov.uk
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Hi Michele
      It sounds like you have your hands full especially if your teenager is anything like mine lol.
      I will post some info in a minute. Will you have funds to help you set up in the UK, I presume you and your daughter have a UK passport?

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      This is a summary of generic information about what a British national returning to the UK may expect. As each case is different, details of specific social care issues, levels of medical needs, background info etc. may require additional specific advice / recommendations.
      Essentially, a returnee has NO automatic entitlement to anyUK welfare support on their return – such support can rarely be guaranteed.

Habitual Residence Test (‘HRT’)

Having been out of the UK for more than (approximately) 6 months, a returnee is likely to be subject to this test by a Local Authority before becoming eligible to receive any welfare benefits / accommodation. Passing the HRT means proving that you intend to settle and make the UK your home again. There are no hard and fast criteria, and each individual will be assessed on their own circumstances.
      The HRT test can take anywhere from a few days up to 6 months to pass, at which point the returnee will be deemed to have become ‘habitually resident’ in the area, and from this point, a Local Authority may begin to provide any assistance for which the person is eligible.
      The HRT applies to both Britishand non-Britishpeople alike. British Citizenship does NOT exempt a person from the HRT, and neither does having paid taxes in the UK.
      The only way a returnee can bypass aHRT is if they are formally deported, expelled or removed by compulsion of law from overseas and returns with evidence to show this, i.e. deportation documents, letter from Prisoners Abroad, stamp in passport, letter from Embassy.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Access to Accommodation

Local Authorities have a duty to provide ‘housing advice’ to people who approach them as homeless. This often means providing a list of private landlords who may accept Housing Benefit, in the expectation that people will find a landlord and apply for Housing Benefit themselves.
      For those applicants who are deemed to be ‘in priority need’ (this is a strict legal definition – for more information click here), limited stocks of accommodation may be provided by Local Authorities (Councils) or housing associations. In order to be eligible to access Local Authority housing, a returnee must pass the HRT. Even after passing the HRT, a returnee may not necessarily be guaranteed Local Authority housing immediately. This is due mainly to very heavy demand and acute shortages, but a returnee could be added to a waiting list.
      Local Authorities have a responsibility to provide emergency accommodation to certain homeless people, but unless a returnee has a critical need, they likely to be deemed ineligible for emergency housing on arrival.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      If you find yourself back in the UK with no money, no place to stay etc, contact these who are located at Heathrow and Manchester http://www.heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/

Title
      Liked
      27 times
      Rep
      braveheart is on a distinguished road
      Michele welcome, were you born in the UK or are you South African by birth? Do you have a British passport or family in the UK who could initially invite you on holiday as a tourist. None of this is clear from your message.
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Michele is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
      Michele welcome, were you born in the UK or are you South African by birth? Do you have a British passport or family in the UK who could initially invite you on holiday as a tourist. None of this is clear from your message.

Hi Braveheart and Ktee

Yes I was born in the UK and left when I was 11 years old. Both my brothers have back home for the last 30 years or so and therefore we have drifted very much apart. Mom is 78 years old and in the last 18 months her health has seriously deteriorated she could life a good few more hears or not. At this moment I do not think I would be able to bring her back home, therefore is a case of staying put at the moment and taking care of her. Fortunetly I am sole beneficiary on her estate and this includes a simplex and a flat here in SA so ya I will be able to come home with a bet of money to get me started. just didn't know where to start. now I know that if I can't find a job etc I won't me put on the street unlike here is SA I can feel a little more positive about all this.

Title
      Liked
      27 times
      Rep
      braveheart is on a distinguished road
      I'm so glad you will be able to support yourself when you finally decide to leave South Africa and with your experience of caring for an elderly person you should have no problem getting a carers job. I suggest you take a carers course in South Africa if such things exist so that you would have a piece of paper with your carers skills. Perhaps you'll decide to come to a warmer climate like Spain which has a large, ageing, British population and a low cost of living. There was a large South African community in Tossal Gros in Oliva, Valencia when I left there 9 years ago. I really admire people who care for their old folks and wish you lots of luck in the future.