Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Paul

Boston here we come. ANY advice welcome!

Hi Everyone,
      my company are moving me to Boston in March. Probable on an L or E visa. My wife and 5-yr old boy, dog and cat follow about a month after. Any advice would be most welcome. My office will be near MIT in Cambridge but lots of advice says live anywhere west off Mass Turnpike. We want somewhere where schools are obviously good, safe neighbourhood where our boy can get out and play with friends. Rental looks crazy but I have a budget of $5000 p/m which although blows me away doesn't seem to go that far for furnished rentals. We love outdoor space with proximity of a village or town centre within walking distance.

any Ideas of areas, entering elementary school system (we want to get our boy in as soon as we get there so he can make friends for the summer), leasing cars, bringing stuff versus buying stuff out there-(electrical, linen, towels etc)

i have lots more questions so hoping to link up with a Boston members

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi and welcome Paul :)

I am afraid I cannot help specifically with Boston as I don't know the area. $5K per month sounds about right for somewhere, although you might be better off finding somewhere unfurnished and getting the company to ship over your things. The deal the company has given you should include getting you sorted with cars etc. Most electrical stuff won't work here unless it's dual voltage, rules out big things such as TV's, so make sure replacements for those are also in your package from your company. You can buy everything here, but the small things soon add up to a big cost so bring/ship them over (we wish we had brought more over with us).

If you want to stay permanently make sure you get an L visa, it has dual intent and you can get the company to apply for a greencard (this should also be stated in your package from the company). An E visa isn't dual intent and provides no route to permanent residency.

As for elementary school, I am assuming your son was 5 prior to Sept 2012, otherwise he won't be able to start school until Aug/Sept, they start a year later here. Make sure you budget for school supplies, field trips etc, they soon mount up!

HTH :)